Media Player 10 - can't play most video files

Associate
HI,

I just installed the latest drivers for my Video card and now Windows Media Player 10 won't play almost all video types. It gives sound but no video.

I have installed the K-Lite Mega Codec pack yet no joy.

I can play pretty much everything, except HD content, using DivX player though.

FYI my Videocard is the NVidia GeForce 6800 with driver 84.21.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Soldato
If it started after upgrading your drivers then that will be the cause.

Uninstall and re-install is the best method. Go from there.

Soldato
Sounds like you're missing a codec or two.

Firstly, get rid of that codec pack. More often than not they're full of crap and I've had nothing but trouble with them in the past.

I use only the following two codecs and I can play any file that comes my way in MP10:

Xvid (you want the latest stable binary at the top of the page)

FFDShow (just choose a mirror, doesn't really matter which)

Make sure you've got MP10 updated from the Windows Update site too.

Associate
tbh, you could just set it so it dloads codecs that it needs? (at least thats what it used to do for me before i switched to VLC for vids)

Soldato
spirit said:
tbh, you could just set it so it dloads codecs that it needs? (at least thats what it used to do for me before i switched to VLC for vids)
More often that not MP fails when it trys though, happened to me before with friend's machines so I just point them in the direction of those two files I mentioned previously.

Suspended
Uninstall Klite. All you need is..

FFDSHOW
AC-3 filter
VOBSUB
Ogg codec

I have just those, and everything plays. Install gspot. If you have problems find out what audio/video codecs and install those only. You might need Makroseka and VP3, but these are lesser used codecs.

Caporegime
They're both horrible abortions of conflicts. Codec packs have no place, all you need to do is choose the few codecs you require to view your videos.

Back
Top Bottom