What is your perception of the Samaritans.

Soldato
Hey.

I'm trying to find out how members of the public percieve the Samaritans as an charity organisation.

I'm sure most of you have at least heard of them but for those that haven't have a lookie at www.samaritans.org

What do you think they do? Do you think they provide a relevant, needed service, have you ever called or thought about calling. What would stop you from calling if you needed to. How would you percieve a Samaritans caller?

Just curious to see what people think about them, just a little personal research.

If you have any questions or uncertainties I might also be able to help.

Thanks for your time :)

Soldato
Totally admire them, they deal with things most people would crumble under and do it for free to boot. Never needed to call them myself but it's great knowing that they're there for the people who do call :)

Soldato
Good organisation, run by good people. The name obviously conjures up images of helpful people, especially that story in the bible about the samaritan (that's the only other place I've seen it used). I think it's a helpful service but I'm not sure how many people use it? I wouldn't call them because it's too impersonal for my liking.

I either like telling my troubles to people I know very very very very well, or people on the internet (I've certainly told some stuff to people I met through counter-strike, so I kind of know them, but not well enough or closely enough so that if they wanted to use the information against me, they couldn't :p Plus I picked the particular people I spoke closely to quite carefully). The idea of speaking to someone who I've never spoken to before doesn't really appeal to me. Partly the reason why when I had to go through counselling, I didn't open up because it was just some random doctor person.

I think it's a noble job though, and I've done a little bit of it myself, but found it a little too stressful and unpleasant for my liking, basically I pussied out :p (not the Samaritans, but the sort of youth version Youth2Youth).

Soldato
Carzy said:
The idea of speaking to someone who I've never spoken to before doesn't really appeal to me. Partly the reason why when I had to go through counselling, I didn't open up because it was just some random doctor person.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. However I know that it might be beneficial to speak to a stranger who has no idea who you are. I feel a little stuck sometimes not wanting to burden people I know with whatever, but wanting someone close enough who can understand more accurately what I'm saying. So in the end I just bottle up really, great.

I think the Samaritans are very relevant; the number of times I have heard someone say 'Have you tried calling the Samaritans?'. There's not always someone around to speak to, some people don't have anyone at all, and I think calling them up is far easier than going to arrange an appointment somewhere, you can even email them now (I've done this).

Soldato
OP
You can text them now too! :p Does anyone think they are old fashioned, or mistaken them for a religious organisation? Do you think they promote enough or are already well known.

Do you think they are only for the suicidal?

Soldato
I think you could phone them about smaller things, but I would think that people wouldn't precisely because of that fact. I wouldn't say suicidal either, obviously some people might phone up for that, but plenty of people probably phone up just because they are in the **** at that moment in time.

I wouldn't say they were old-fashioned, and you do see their adverts around (although only quite recently and few and far between). I was under the impression they were Christian run, but didn't ram the whole "pray to God" message down your throat, or in fact mentioned Christianity at all.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your input guys, I wouldn't mind some more if anyone else has anything else to offer?

I've been a volunteer with my local branch for about 18 months or so now. I find it fulfilling and a good thing to be a part of. They aren't in the slightest bit religious (the name doesn't give that impression imo though.)

I've recently been made a member of my branch's managment committee and just thought i'd find out how people feel about them.

In my mind they don't promote enough, or give off a slighty inaccurate image. Many think Samaritans and suicide go hand in hand. This is obviously the ultimate reason they exist but others tend to think that they might be wasting time by calling etc. This isn't the case.

Like I said, thanks for everything so far. Anyone else?

Soldato
I think they mean well - after all, they are unpaid volunteers who give up there time for free. The service is also completely confidential, so if you've something on your mind you can feel free to talk openly without worrying about it coming back to haunt you.

Permabanned
I emailed them for awhile, they are useful...

Hi Kayleigh
I'm glad you made contact with us. It sounds like you know
what you need to do to change some parts of your life and are
already working on it.
You mentioned panic attacks and sometimes feeling like
cutting yourself to release the pressure- is this since you
were **** or was it happening before that?
You said you don't want to die - do you still feel like
this?
Having the ********* hanging over you is painful -
you are lucky to have the support of family and boyfriend at
this time.
We wish to the very best in your endeavours and remember
we're here to support you during this difficult period in you
life.

Jo

Callers remain responsible for their own lives and do
not lose the right to make decisions, even if that
decision is to take their own life.
Our mailbox is read every day by trained volunteers,
using the name 'Jo'. Messages are read and usually
replied to within 24 hours.
The Samaritans is a registered charity, number 219432.
It is the co-ordinating body for the 203 branches in the
United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland, all of which are
constituted as independent registered charities (or the
equivalent). A trained Samaritans volunteer from one of
the 203 branches has written this email.
========================================================

beh

beh

Associate
The name certainly conjures up the idea of them being religious, but it clearly says on the website that despite their apparent history they aren't. Perhaps voluntary work just lends itself to religious people.

Its not an organisation I feel I'd be suitably able for as a volunteer and I can't foresee ever calling them. However, I'm sure they provide a useful and in demand service.

Does that bit from Red Dwarf also come to mind for anyone else? Rimmer having worked an afternoon for them, the 5 people he spoke to all having committed suicide, one of which being a wrong number.

Soldato
OP
beh said:
The name certainly conjures up the idea of them being religious, but it clearly says on the website that despite their apparent history they aren't. Perhaps voluntary work just lends itself to religious people.

Its not an organisation I feel I'd be suitably able for as a volunteer and I can't foresee ever calling them. However, I'm sure they provide a useful and in demand service.

Does that bit from Red Dwarf also come to mind for anyone else? Rimmer having worked an afternoon for them, the 5 people he spoke to all having committed suicide, one of which being a wrong number.

Ha ha :D that sounds like Rimmer.

Soldato
I think that the Samaritans are a very worthwhile organisation, who provide a commendable service. While never feeling the need to call them myself, I can understand why some might, as it provides an anonymous ear for you to talk to, and they can provide advice.

Soldato
OP
OCdt Stringy said:
They can't? Like I said, never called them or looked into them, so my perception is obviously false :D

I know its strange, but believe it or not they aren't there to give advice, but support and a non-judgemental ear.

The support thing bugs me, have to bite my lip sometimes, but I understand why its in the rules.

Soldato
DailyGeek said:
I know its strange, but believe it or not they aren't there to give advice, but support and a non-judgemental ear.

The support thing bugs me, have to bite my lip sometimes, but I understand why its in the rules.

Aye, was the same when I was in Y2Y. Active listening, paraphrasing, and letting them figure it out for themselves with no judgements/advice. We were told that the idea wasn't to leave them with a "present" and a lot of the time, they may go away and you feel like you've not helped at all, but the pure fact that they had someone to talk to, and were able to process their thoughts into speech will probably help them a fair bit and allow them to figure stuff out in their head :)

Man of Honour
I did it for little under a year about 17 years ago and the pressure got to me.
It wasn't just the sad tales and talking people out of killing themselves but the tiredness I endured.
The phone could go at any time and you could be on for hours.
I always thought there should be some type of system where I could input the hours I wanted to do but it wasn't the case back then.

The Good Samaritan was actually an oxymoron.
Its like saying a Good Terrorist or Decent Paedophile.
Jews hated Samaritans and vice versa and the parable was to teach people that all people could be good and help each other.

Soldato
OP
dmpoole said:
The phone could go at any time and you could be on for hours.
I always thought there should be some type of system where I could input the hours I wanted to do but it wasn't the case back then.

I do four hours a week and one overnight shift a month, which is what they ask. They have a rota system which works quite well, at my branch anyway.

Back
Top Bottom