Some people are just scumbags...

Soldato
As a lot of you know, I moved to Cyprus a few months back, well last month my beloved cats ronnie and bob moved out as well...

Last week I was told that the cypriots have a habit of throwing down poison meat to kill "strays" but they actually target areas where there are pet cats and dogs, and this is totally legal...

Its well known that the Cypriots are not an animal loving nation, and I thought this practice cannot be as bad as people say, but in the last 7 days, both of my cats have been killed by this practice...

I truely cannot believe that a nation of people can be this inhumane and barbaric...

Anyone know if there is an EU department that deals with this barbaric practice?

What are your thoughts (other than I am dumb for letting my cats get out)

:mad: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
It's their country and their way of life. It's something that's normal for them no matter how wrong it may seem to you. Would you be happy if someone came to your country and told you that something you find acceptable is wrong and barbaric?

Soldato
OP
I would totally agree, if the pet owning cypriots didnt complain about it as well...

These people are also known to be throwing poison food into the gardens of pet owners...

In this case neoboy, you are so far off the mark its untrue...

And I am horrified you find it acceptable to poison ANY animals and put them through a painful death...

This isnt about culture, its about having respect for other living animals... if they respected the animals in the first place, they wouldn't have a stray issue to deal with!!!

If they were restaurant owners with cat problems, then I could see an issue, but these are residential areas, and their sole justification is that they have their windows open in the summer and dont like a barking dog disturbing their afternoon sleep...

My point is this should not be legal, if you have a stray problem, do what every other country does, round the strays up (ones without collars) and take them to an impound, putting them to sleep HUMANELY if they are not claimed by their owners within a few weeks...

Vigilante pet killers should be force fed their own product, and the Govt should not allow it...

What if your son/daughter picked up some of this poison food and put it in their mouth whilst out?

:rolleyes:

Soldato
neoboy said:
It's their country and their way of life. It's something that's normal for them no matter how wrong it may seem to you. Would you be happy if someone came to your country and told you that something you find acceptable is wrong and barbaric?

Moral relativism is awesome!

Soldato
OP
Agreed

I find it astonishing that a country that CLAIMS to be strongly christian believes the slaughter of Gods creatures is justifiable in this way...

Guess they just talk the talk rather than walk the walk...

I am not religious in anyway, but I guess you dont need to be religious to have a strong moral fibre... and religion is no guarantee of such...

:o

Soldato
We do the same to rats. I own a cat but having been abroad and seen all the mangy scavenging cats and dogs I can understand why they would consider them vermin. On a recent holiday to Tunisia for instance there seemed to be dozens and dozens of cats hanging around the hotel grounds. I'm not sure how hygenic or safe this is.

Soldato
OP
Wormwood, yes i understand the need for pest control, I just disagree with the methods...

I cant speak for tunisia, but in egypt there are many stray cats, its the one thing that keeps down the rat population, so they dont kill them, they respect them.. I dont doubt its less hygenic than not having them, but the cypriots dont worry about hygene... but I wont open that can of worms here...

here there are a few stray cats, nothing like the amount there used to be, but the real targets appear to be dogs and dog owners, my cats just fell victim as an aside...

The poison appears to be laid on popular dog walk routes, parks etc not areas where there are restaurants with cat problems...

And as for throwing it in the back gardens of dog owning houses... well... how can that be justified other than a hatred of the animal?

My landlady has 2 dogs, jack russells, quite noisy, but I wouldnt dream of killing them just so as it doesnt disturb my TV/Sleep etc etc.. I had a choice not to live right next door to her if its a problem... or indeed, shut my windows..

Since I have lived here, it has never ceased to amaze me the level of hatred some of these people have for anything/anyone that isnt a Greek Cypriot Human.. The level of racism (for whites, blacks, asians, chinese, japanese etc etc) and hatred of animals is truely astonishing....

I have always owned dogs and cats, and to me, they are almost like children, to my children they are part of the family... I could never understand how people could leave their pets behind when they emigrated, the expense of taking them, to me was not questionable, yet now I truely wish I had done that...

Having to find a family pet dead on your back doorstep, covered in vomit, its bowels having let go in its final death throws is truely horrific... to have to do it twice in one week is heartbreaking...

At least its helped make one decision for me, on where I finally want to live, and its not south cyprus...

:(

Soldato
Dr Who said:
Makes me wish that the Turkish had finished the job properly...

Similar here, this Jew ripped me off when I bough a watch from him, had Hitler killed them all I wouldn't have been ripped off!

Anyway, there have been cases like this where people intentionally kill dogs/cats, I haven't been to Cyprus but sometimes it happens in Greece as well. Unfortunately there's nothing much you can do, how can you prove Mr. Dimitrakis did it? And how can you say he targeted your cats?

Sorry to hear that bud.

neoboy said:

It's not normal at all, it's ****ed up. How can killing cats and dogs be their way of life!?

Soldato
That sucks mate, sorry to hear about that. I'd be worried about walking my dog around the streets as he can smell scabby meat long before I can see it, by which stage it's normally too late to stop him eating it. Luckily there weren't such problems in Italy and certainly not in England.

Soldato
OP
pyro said:
Similar here, this Jew ripped me off when I bough a watch from him, had Hitler killed them all I wouldn't have been ripped off!

It's not normal at all, it's ****ed up. How can killing cats and dogs be their way of life!?

hehe good tongue in cheek response... my turk comment was also tongue in cheek... and I guess you spotted that... however, the turkish wouldnt have killed them all, just its not legal in the north to do this...

;)

Last edited:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
pyro said:

though i can see the point you're trying to make, you could've been less of an ass about it

Soldato
OP
Nathan said:
find out who does it and seek revenge. They will be close to where you live as cats dont woner too far out.

I dont think this is a solution, however, spraying his walls with cat killer does have some appeal...

It would be easy to find out who they are, a few late nights camped out would find them wandering around with their bag of rotting meat spreading it about...

Funny how they always do it late at night so they arent seen...

:mad:

Soldato
Sic said:
though i can see the point you're trying to make, you could've been less of an ass about it

True

I definitely feel that the attacks on your cats are harsh but I guess theres little that can be done about it.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
pyro said:
Hey not my fault getting defensive :p

yeah, you'd get defensive if your grandmother was Jewish german, and watched her brothers being taken away to concentration camps, and having to flee the country herself for fear of being killed. again, i can see that you don't mean any harm by it though.

Back
Top Bottom