Acer AL1916WS - Anyone have it?

Associate
I'm VERY interested in buying this widescreen Acer 19" LCD, just wondering if anyone actually has it? or had experience with it?
Comments would be welcomed.

Cheers

Soldato
yup i have it,

its a great looking monitor, but unfortunately for me 19inch windscreen was a little restrictive, meaning it looks too small specially when compared to a standard non wide 19" screen. I would say a 20" normal would be better or a 24" wide screen, but its all up to personal taste i suppose.

having said that, i have not tried games on it so cant say if it performs well, but from reviews here it seem that it does not suffer from ghosting. Movies look great on it too.

Associate
OP
AMDPower said:
yup i have it,

its a great looking monitor, but unfortunately for me 19inch windscreen was a little restrictive, meaning it looks too small specially when compared to a standard non wide 19" screen. I would say a 20" normal would be better or a 24" wide screen, but its all up to personal taste i suppose.

having said that, i have not tried games on it so cant say if it performs well, but from reviews here it seem that it does not suffer from ghosting. Movies look great on it too.

I suppose the size thing would be that much of a problem for me, I've currently got a 17" CRT so it would be a major upgrade. Anyone had any problems with it just have VGA and no DVI?

Cheers

Soldato
I suppose the size thing would be that much of a problem for me, I've currently got a 17" CRT so it would be a major upgrade. Anyone had any problems with it just have VGA and no DVI?

Cheers

i had a 17monitor next to it, and can tell you that for some strange reason the 17 crt looked larger even though it is not. anyhow even though it is VGA the picture is SHARP. I run it out of native resolution because the text was too small, and for non native it has good text quality too. :)

Associate
OP
AMDPower said:
i had a 17monitor next to it, and can tell you that for some strange reason the 17 crt looked larger even though it is not. anyhow even though it is VGA the picture is SHARP. I run it out of native resolution because the text was too small, and for non native it has good text quality too. :)

Cool cool, thanks for your advice. I'm always wary before spending the odd £200, being semi unemployed and all :D

Cheers

Soldato
The Acer AL1916W is brilliant value monitor. Clear picture, no noticable ghosting, good at non native res, good clear video reproduction. Only downside is no DVi connection, but the vga is very good indeed. You`d need to pay a good deal more to beat it.

Associate
OP
wellibob said:
The Acer AL1916W is brilliant value monitor. Clear picture, no noticable ghosting, good at non native res, good clear video reproduction. Only downside is no DVi connection, but the vga is very good indeed. You`d need to pay a good deal more to beat it.

Cheers, I'll be forking out the cash very soon. Should be a nice upgrade from my current 17" Dell CRT.

Thanks for the advice everyone... Well AMDPower and wellibob :D

Soldato
no problem, your welcome.

but any specific reason you want this monitor, i would personally recommend Samsung SM-920N. I dont have this specific model but rather the model before it, ie the model the sm 920 replaced and that is sm913n.

can tell you that the sm913 n compared to the accer looks a fair bit larger and also has a great screen, and the text is not too small either.

its really up to you, regardless of what you get hope you enjoy it.

Associate
OP
I was looking at the acer because it was a nice cheap price for a widescreen 19" TFT. If the price of the Samsung was close and had better reviews I'd definately consider it.

Soldato
I was looking at the acer because it was a nice cheap price for a widescreen 19" TFT. If the price of the Samsung was close and had better reviews I'd definately consider it.

only problem is that the samsung is not windscreen and only 176 pounds @ocuk, but do consider it there are others here who can tell you more about the samsung.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just ordered one aswell.

Coming from a 15" TFT its going to be a major upgrade :)

At the price aswell it looks rather neat.

I shall give you a detailed review on thursday when it arrives :)

Back
Top Bottom