Travelling with laptop...

Soldato
Going away for week in July and was thinking of taking my laptop along to pass some time.

Whats the situation with taking laptop on planes? Are you allowed to do so? Can you take it onboard as hand luggage? Will it be damaged during the x-ray check?

Associate
I have been abroad many times with work, and at heathrow the tell you to take it out so they can scan it, and then you are good to go, I always take it on as hand luggage as I don't trust the cargo boys (!)

Should be fine if taken on as hand luggage long as you have a bag to carry it in.

Hope this helps

Man of Honour
kmistry said:
I have been abroad many times with work, and at heathrow the tell you to take it out so they can scan it, and then you are good to go, I always take it on as hand luggage as I don't trust the cargo boys (!)

Should be fine if taken on as hand luggage long as you have a bag to carry it in.

Hope this helps

The remove for scanning may have stopped at Heathrow - they followed suit at Glasgow and I was told this morning that it was just a 3 month trial.

Never, ever put a laptop (or anything else of value) in hold luggage, the airline's liability for loss or damage is very low, certainly not enough to cover a dead laptop.

Stelly said:
scanning it does not effect HDD or anything like that??

Nope, mine's been through scanners on average twice a week for the last two years and it's fine.

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:
Thats good to hear then.

How much hand luggage weight are you generally allowed? My laptop weighs just under 2.5KG and is housed in a typical leather case.

If you can comfortably carry it in one hand then I doubt you will have any weight issues :)

SiriusB

Man of Honour
GuruJockStrap said:
Thats good to hear then.

How much hand luggage weight are you generally allowed? My laptop weighs just under 2.5KG and is housed in a typical leather case.

Normal hand baggage allowance varies between airlines from 5kg up to easyjet's unlimited as long as it fits in the size restrictions and you can lift it unaided. Most airlines don't count laptops as part of that allowance but I'd check the small print first.

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:
Going away for week in July and was thinking of taking my laptop along to pass some time.

Whats the situation with taking laptop on planes? Are you allowed to do so? Can you take it onboard as hand luggage? Will it be damaged during the x-ray check?

Provided the laptop bag isn't too big, airlines will let you have it as carry-on in addition to normal hand luggage. Check with the airline first.

Back
Top Bottom