HDD Health - says my HDD is critical Temp

Associate
Hi,

just installed HDD Health and it says my hard disks are at 46 degrees C and 48 on another. they do seem a bit hot when i touch them i have the side of my computer off... have for a long time.

so are them temps too high for a hard drive and is it critical?

cheers

timbo

Man of Honour
They wont simply die when they reach a temperature (It'd have to be in the 90's for that I imagine) but the hotter they are the less time they'll last. Stick a 120mm fan blowing over them in the front of the case if you haven't, if not then I have no clue what's wrong.

Man of Honour
james.miller said:
not too high, but its getting there. You want to avoid hitting the 50c's with them.

Haha, whoops, how accurate is Speedfan then do you think? It reports my Maxtors as being 51C, 59C and 60C but none are particularly hot to the touch, warm but little more than that and have been running like that since I built the PC 18 months ago.

Associate
OP
cheers for the response, I don't have a fan in the front of my case. the drives are maxtors. i will look into getting a fan in the front of the case.

thanks once again

timbo

Associate
MY drive temps go UP with the case sidepanel off. It's a LianLi V2000B and there's 9 hard drives in there... I note that those drives next to the fan are about 8deg cooler than those away from it, and the latter reach 60deg without the sidepanel on. The case really needs the forced airflow through the drives, but with that many drives I see a range of 35 to 45. The hottest are a bit warm for my liking but there's not much more I can do..

Associate
semi-pro waster said:
Haha, whoops, how accurate is Speedfan then do you think? It reports my Maxtors as being 51C, 59C and 60C but none are particularly hot to the touch, warm but little more than that and have been running like that since I built the PC 18 months ago.

Its not how accurate speedfan is so much as how accurate the drive temp sensors are...

M

Associate
SiriusB said:
In my old rig SpeedFan told me my drives were at 58-60C. Been running like that for 3 years and no problems so far :D

SiriusB

Your drives lives are likely to be shortened slightly... The maximum operating temperature for most drives is 55C. The maximum non-operational temperature for most drives is 65C. Exceed these temperatures at you own risk...

Man of Honour
noxidjkram@hotm said:
Its not how accurate speedfan is so much as how accurate the drive temp sensors are...

M

True but then again I've been running like this for 18 months or so, on that basis I'd say it isn't a huge issue. Maybe I'm being blase and I'll come to regret this and then again maybe not, we will see in time :)

Soldato
Hmmm.. reading all these temps makes me think theres something wrong with mine..

Its a maxtor 80gb ide, and the temp is always around 22c? Tis colder than the ambient temp lol

Soldato
benjo said:
Hmmm.. reading all these temps makes me think theres something wrong with mine..

Its a maxtor 80gb ide, and the temp is always around 22c? Tis colder than the ambient temp lol

Okay, one of two possibilities there... 1: Iffy sensor or 2: your HDDs are situated on an ancient indian burial ground...

ByteJuggler said:
Your drives lives are likely to be shortened slightly... The maximum operating temperature for most drives is 55C. The maximum non-operational temperature for most drives is 65C. Exceed these temperatures at you own risk...

Never seen either drive go above 60C even in the middle of summer. 3 Years at these temps and never a single fault, glitch or error. That is something to be proud of in a HDD lol. Even if its life has been shortened, boy what a life :D

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom