distance between floorstanders

Associate
i'm looking at getting some B&W603 s2 floorstanders as part of a home cinema set up.

is there a minimum distance they should be apart to work correctly.... with my current room setup it is likely they will be only 1.5 -1.6m apart

Associate
thats an ok distance imo. Personal opinions aside, I believe 2m's is the ideal minimum distance to create a decent sonic image. Its amazing how much difference giving toe in or even toe out can have in different room's let alone the distance the speakers are from one another. I have used my floorstanders in the living room with about 3m gap and it transforms the whole sound. They are in my bedroom now but they were such a good price I could'nt resist. :D

edit: I use my speakers as 2channel music so the above is more important for me. surround is'nt such a big problem regarding gap's etc

Last edited:
Associate
it all depends how far you're sitting back tbh.

Ideally you want something that's somewhere around an equilateral triangle with the two speakers and you. i.e if you are sat approx 2m away when they're 1.6m apart is prob ok, but the soundstage will be non-existant if you are say 4m away

Associate
I have large floorstanders, and they are about 6ft apart, and give a good soundstage in a 18ft long living room.

A mate of mine used to have his speakers too far apart, and there was a vaccum in centre of the room that was devoid of sound.

Best thing to do, is try various positions (oo-er missus), and see what sounds best.

Another tip is to try and keep your speaker cables equal lengths.

Associate
Thinking about it, another thing to consider, is how far away the rear of your speakers are from the wall behind them.

Some smaller speakers, of the bookshelf variety can benefit from being closer to a wall, for bass reinforcement, or even in corners.

Many floorstanders, can be destroyed, by having their backs "Up against the wall" so to speak.

Hence, thats why you need to experiment, and see what sounds best to your ears. Lots of variables to consider, when trying to achieve the best you can in end result - the biggest variable is most often the room/listening environment itself.

Last edited:
Associate
My front speakers are approx 6ft apart and i sit about 3mts away and i have my rear speakers attached to the wall facing inwards, overall it sounds fantastic, the distance that you are planning to have between you floorstanders should be fine.But in the end its how it sounds to you.
dscf00748kl.jpg
[/IMG]

dscf00758ye.jpg
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom