Plymouth & Plymouth Uni help...

Soldato
Hi,
I'm going to Plymouth university this september and I'm getting a house in plymouth with a few of my mates for the upcoming year. Basically I want to know what are the nicer areas to look for?

I've noticed there are a few houses around Mutley but I have been warned off this. Is Mutley a bad area?

Would central Plymouth be a better idea?

Any help would be excellent, I know there are a few Plymouth Uni students on here!

Associate
Most places around the uni are fine, the closer the better, as u dont want to walk to lectures in the rain, id try and avoid the city centre as it will be annoying at the weekends, and generally means living in what are often refered to as "halls" which are basically a hotel. Theres nothing wrong with mutley really cant imagine why you wouldn't want to live there, the area between Mutly plain and the university is ideal. Speak to the people in accommodation they are really helpfull and can give you a list of landlords.

My only other advice would be to avoid a certain letting agency that has the name of a person, as they can be quite bad. *cough* CS

And make sure that whatever you do u dont live with a landlord named Mr. PJ Sprason as he as the type of person that will attempt to evict if there is a technical error with your loan and you cant pay for a few weeks, and will take you to county court if you use your deposit as last months rent, that is only the begining of my complains about him.

Cheers SS

Soldato
First couple of years I lived in Peverell (sp? it's been a while!) Then in my final year I lived towards the uni end of Mutley Plain just off North Hill. Probably a uni building now but I had friends in the final building at the end of Kirkby Place, their IT assignments had to be handed in to the building next door!

Unless Plymouth has changed hugely I don't see a problem with living near Mutley Plain.

edit: Just remembered my landlord looked exactly like Ned Flanders...can't remember his real name though :p

Man of Honour
S7yl3s said:
Hi,
I'm going to Plymouth university this september and I'm getting a house in plymouth with a few of my mates for the upcoming year. Basically I want to know what are the nicer areas to look for?

I've noticed there are a few houses around Mutley but I have been warned off this. Is Mutley a bad area?

No, not really, only negative thing I can possibly think of is that it's about a 10 minute walk to the campus but thats not really a big deal, I mean I park my car there most days and walk to lectures and it isnt a problem.

Would central Plymouth be a better idea?

Few, if any, houses in central Plymouth most of the accomodation there are big towerblock style student accomodation run by people like UNITE.

Any help would be excellent, I know there are a few Plymouth Uni students on here!

:)

What course?

Soldato
Mutley isn't that bad really. I live just of Alexandra road now and it's ok really, but it does take about 15mins to walk to uni. Last year i lived by the uni halls, and that was much better for walking distance (~2mins ;)).

There is a HUGE variation in house quality though. Some of my friends live in really bad places (what most people would class as a student house), but i've lived in very good houses for the last few years (both of them owned by one of the tennants' parents).

Soldato
6thElement said:
First couple of years I lived in Peverell (sp? it's been a while!) Then in my final year I lived towards the uni end of Mutley Plain just off North Hill. Probably a uni building now but I had friends in the final building at the end of Kirkby Place, their IT assignments had to be handed in to the building next door!

Unless Plymouth has changed hugely I don't see a problem with living near Mutley Plain.

edit: Just remembered my landlord looked exactly like Ned Flanders...can't remember his real name though :p

Yes, you can spell Peverell ;)
I would generally stick to the sort of area you have mentioned, unfortunately there are huge numbers of council estates around much of the rest of the city :( (North Prospect, one of the most deprived areas in the country :eek: )

Only just got out of Plymouth myself, not at all nice compared to Norwich :p

-Leezer-

Man of Honour
leezer3 said:
Yes, you can spell Peverell ;)
I would generally stick to the sort of area you have mentioned, unfortunately there are huge numbers of council estates around much of the rest of the city :( (North Prospect, one of the most deprived areas in the country :eek: )

There is absolutely zero reason why any student would ever find themselves anywhere near the crappy areas of Plymouth. I live here and even I find no need to ever go near them so they only affect me when their inhabitants venture into town :p

Only just got out of Plymouth myself, not at all nice compared to Norwich :p

It's actually very nice if you only go to the nice places - like any city, it has good and bad aspects, the bad aspects being it's hardly a wealthy city.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I'm in the UNITE buildings myself. It's not too bad, but I've heard some bad things about Discovery Heights (newest one) recently, involving rats. I live in one that's about a 10 minute walk from the university, at the top of town. It isn't too bad really, roof over your head - crappy connection though. Next year I've got the second biggest room in the building! My flatmate has the biggest :p

I've heard really bad things about Chris Storey, so if you're going to look at accommodation, use the university's accommodation office, as they're apparently quite good for identifying good houses. There are equally good and bad houses and the same applies for landlords. Makesure you visit any potential place and don't leave it too late either. I don't think there's nothing bad about Mutley at all, it's where most students live. The only negative aspect I can think of is that it's about a 10 minute walk up North Hill. I've heard some people say that the best place to live is directly behind the university, so it might be worth looking into that.

What course are you doing?

Also, Fox - what year/course are you in?

Plymouth as a city reminds me a lot of Southend, just without the amusements and a huge populace of chav infestation. There are chavs here, but they're pretty few and far between.

Soldato
Yeah, use the uni accommodation list :)

Defintatly get a house rather than halls too. I really don't see the attraction of living in halls after the first year!

Also, having a car in Plymouth is a good thing as there's so many places to go just outside of the city for days out. You can get a parking permit for ~£25 for the year too, which isn't that bad.

Soldato
OP
Excellent, thanks for your help everyone.

I'm going to be studying 'Computer Systems & Networks' starting in September.

I have had a look at Alexandra Works in Mutley and to be honest it didn't look too bad at all, just a little expensive as the £250 deposit, first rent installment and utility charge have to be paid very soon. Also the utility charge is £250 which I thought was quite high?

If I decide to go in halls would you recommend a standard or en suite room? The en suite are around £90 a week, which isn't a problem, but is it worth it?

I will taking my car with me becuase I definately want the ability to get around! I was informed that Plymouth don't provide you with parking at the uni, so are there plenty of places to park? I presume that just on the side of the road will be ok. I can't see anyone stealing my car to be honest there's plenty better things to steal! lol.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Stay away from Alexandra Works if you can. I think it's full of the local college kids, I could be wrong though but it's a long way out of the way of the university.

If you were going to halls, I've heard Radnor are the best. They're not ensuite though. Gillwell is apparently a dump, and whatever you do - stay away from "interior rooms". Those ensuite rooms, I'm imagining are in Pilgrim Halls (or whatever they are), which are like the posh halls, and a bit anti-social I'd imagine. £90 a week for rent is really high, if you're going to pay that amount, you might aswell get a room in Discovery Heights on the 9th floor for about £70-80 a week with an amazing view.

There are a couple of car parking garages right outside the halls, next to Jakes, next to and opposite the Plymouth Art College.

Last edited:
Soldato
Parking near uni isn't that great really. Most of the residential streets are permit only for most of the day.

I stayed in the Radnor uni halls for my first year, and tbh i didn't really like it. Living in a house is so much better for me :)

Houses will vary from ~£40-~£70, but are generally £60/week.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Matt said:
Parking near uni isn't that great really. Most of the residential streets are permit only for most of the day.

I stayed in the Radnor uni halls for my first year, and tbh i didn't really like it. Living in a house is so much better for me :)

Houses will vary from ~£40-~£70, but are generally £60/week.

Aye, the rooms are very cramped and I didn't like those breeze blocks. When I saw the size of the kitchens shared between eight people, I'm so glad I'm living where I am. My kitchen is like the Ritz compared to it! lol.

Soldato
OP
Ah, a very good point for me to mention which also makes me lucky, is that my girlfriend and a couple of her mates are going to have a place in Plymouth, and so dinners round there most nights for me :D

Can't wait :D

Nix

Nix

Soldato
S7yl3s said:
Ah, a very good point for me to mention which also makes me lucky, is that my girlfriend and a couple of her mates are going to have a place in Plymouth, and so dinners round there most nights for me :D

Can't wait :D

Pfff, I love cooking. Lol, we'll have a little gathering of OcUK Plymouth students here soon :p

Oh yeah, S7yl3s, if you're going to pretty much be living off your student loan with no support from your parents or anything - seriously, get a job ASAP. I've struggled with money this year and as a result my social life took a nasty hit for a while. I've got a job now though, student union barwork. I think it's a great little job, met a few great people so far.

Associate
Nix said:
I've heard really bad things about Chris Storey .

Id second that Chris Shorey are BAD, most private Landlords are fine. although i think that Nix has been lucky with his room in the UNITE building, a friend had one and it wasnt good.

Soldato
I just remembered my landlords name :D

Don King

Although we did call him Flanders (a)
flanders.jpg

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Stoned_SpaZZZ said:
Id second that Chris Shorey are BAD, most private Landlords are fine. although i think that Nix has been lucky with his room in the UNITE building, a friend had one and it wasnt good.

Which building?

Back
Top Bottom