• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

O/C my CPU?

Associate
Hi All

I am fairly new to posting but been reading the forums for a while. My question is, I have a AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor S939 San Diego 2.2GHZ 1MB L2 Cache 90NM on a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ATX S939. My current stock speed is 2.2 and i wanted to kow if it was easy to o/c this puppy?
I think my cpu is my bottlenect in my system.
How fats can it be o/ced and how easily.
Thanks
Wiz

Soldato
Hi Wiz

Yes it should be quite easy to oc that cpu, but you will need to do some reading up on how to do it.

Basically you need to go in to the bios and change some settings but youll still need to read up on it as to what settings to change , etc..

The question of how far it will go is more difficult as it depends on many things, some being the indiviual CPU, the Ram, the motherboard and the cooling that you are using.

Whats the rest of your system for you to say that your CPU is the bottleneck ?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply Paulus.
Here is my system
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ATX S939
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor S939 San Diego 2.2GHZ 1MB L2 Cache 90NM
EVGA 7900 GT CO Superclocked (600/1870) 256mb
2x 512 pc 3200 Kingston dual channel
PSU Raidmax RX 580.
Any info on where to start reading about this?
Thanks

Associate
OP
wow Paulus thats a lot of reading. I thought it was a simple procedure to o/c the cpu but it looks like its major surgery lol. I will definitely read the article and decide if it is something i can accomplish.
Thanks again.

Soldato
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=138583

check that out a little bit more concise and straight to the point...

Basically I suggest:

a) change the settings for 1 component at a time
b) get a pad and a pen to write down what you are trying
c) get progs like memtest86+ iso version, speedfan, cpuz and prime 95

basically you will be overclocking your CPU, RAM and GPU (the latter if you want)

so you will be increasing settings such as FSB, Vcore, Vdimm etc in the bios...

its just trial and error...and remember just because your mate gets 2.9ghz or whatever doesnt mean you will....but have a go...

good luck - if you need a hand you know where to come :)

Soldato
Wizzardmk said:
wow Paulus thats a lot of reading. I thought it was a simple procedure to o/c the cpu but it looks like its major surgery lol. I will definitely read the article and decide if it is something i can accomplish.
Thanks again.

it defenately is something you can accomplish. just takes a bit of time to get your head around the concept but its really not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

just do a bit of reading , and like xirokx said, plenty of friendly and helpful people on here to help you if you get stuck or have any questions..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
"plenty of friendly and helpful people on here to help you if you get stuck or have any questions.."

This is one thing that you can find a lot in these forums :)
I will try it.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom