RIP Linksys WRT45G v2 - New router time

Associate
Well, about 2 hours ago my trust ol' Linksys WRT45G gave up the ghost. It served me well for about 2 years while switched on 24/7. Anyway its time to move on and get a new router, the new Linksys stuff dosent really float my boat as its quite unstable (we have used it at work) and its based on VxWorks. I hate D-Link with a passion and the only other option is Netgear and Draytek. I cant really afford £150 on a nice shiny Draytek box so that leaves Netgear... can you see where this is going? Now onto my last little picky bit... I dont want any of this "Non WiFi standard" malarky that is going around at the moment, normal WiFi Certified 802.11b 54mbps will do me just fine. So.. What does everyone think of the Netgear WGR614 v6? If anyone has any other suggestions on a router id be more than happy to listen :)

Craig

Caporegime
Linksys WRT54GL, that doesn't use VXWorks (it's a v4 WRT54G more or less), and should be exactly as stable as the WRT that died?

ajm

ajm

Associate
Cr4iG
Did you know that you usually get a 3 year manufacturers warranty with Linksys.So maybe it's still under warranty.

Soldato
tolien said:
Linksys WRT54GL, that doesn't use VXWorks (it's a v4 WRT54G more or less), and should be exactly as stable as the WRT that died?

I have the WRT54GL and it is indeed a v4 WRT54G.

Got mine flashed with the DD WRT firmware running smoothly and without a hiccup.

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the replys :)

I have phoned Linksys and they have arranged a callback for when I am at home tonight. I wont be using any custom firmware this time around as DD-WRT caused me no end of problems, it crashed whenever I tried to update any server list in any game and totally hated BitTorrent!

Craig

Associate
OP
Well, I just had the worst *ever* customer support experience of my life. Phoned them up, promptly got put through to India and then spent the next 1hour 33mins trying to understand the guy on the other end of the phone, he went through the diagnostics THREE times "Just in case" and then eventually told me that if I did not have my recipt from two years ago I could not have a replacement. After a bit of a heated conversation, he told me to email their RMA department, I got a prompt reply from them (Some 23mins later) with a blank email. The "Dear XXX" at the top had my named spelled incorrectly (my email address is my firstname.lastname, so they did have it for reference) and the rest of the email was blank, with a copy of my original email pasted in beneath. I did reply to their email asking them to re-send the email as it did not come through properly, but I havent heard anything as of yet.

We do ship over 50 Linksys units per month (not earth shattering I know) at work, after the support I had today I highly doubt we will be shipping any more.

If nothing comes of my RMA request, does anyone know of a manufacturer who has English technical support, and technical support who actually know their stuff?

Cheers,

Craig

ajm

ajm

Associate
Does look like you got a bad deal there.I only contacted them through email and everything went just fine and quite quick too.Good luck with yours.

Associate
OP
Cheers ajm. Just had this email from them;

Linksys said:
Dear Craig,

Thank you for contacting Linksys Technical Support.

You have mentioned that you have there the WRT54G version 2 Linksys router and was trying to get a replacement as advised by our technician over the phone. I have checked your records and verified that information.

I’m sorry to inform you that without the receipt, we can’t process a replacement device for your. The receipt is a requirement so we can verify is the device is still within the warranty. Try to look for the receipt then email us back so we can process your request.

Might save up for a Draytek or just pop out and buy a Netgear now then :(

Craig

Back
Top Bottom