Media remote won't turn on 360 properly

Associate
I bought a 360 last weekend, and I'm having trouble switching it on with the remote.

If I press the power button on the console, it turns on fine.
If I press the "guide" button on the wireless controller, it turns on fine.
If I press the "on/off" button on the remote, the power light comes on, the ring of light circles green once, then nothing - no display, no loading disk. The only thing that works is the eject button.
If I turn it off and back on with the remote, it works fine. It only fails the first time I try it, after switching on at the wall socket.

I assume that this is not a design feature, or me doing something wrong?

Associate
OP
Upon further investigation, it seems to be a "cold fault". The remote/controller and mains things were red herrings - it just won't boot the first time it's turned on (by any method) from cold.
I guess I'll have to take it back.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
clockworks said:
Upon further investigation, it seems to be a "cold fault". The remote/controller and mains things were red herrings - it just won't boot the first time it's turned on (by any method) from cold.
I guess I'll have to take it back.

Don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that the only way to turn it on with the remote is to turn the console on my another method initially, turn it off, and then you can turn it on with the remote?

Associate
~J~ said:
Don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that the only way to turn it on with the remote is to turn the console on my another method initially, turn it off, and then you can turn it on with the remote?

Replace the remote with ANY method to turn it on and yes, that's what he means. It's a cold boot issue, not uncommon. If it's been off at the mains for some time, no matter how you try to switch it on, it will fail. Switch it off then back on and it will be fine.

If you got it from a local shop, they should swap it out for you no problem.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
[SKR]Phoenix said:
Replace the remote with ANY method to turn it on and yes, that's what he means. It's a cold boot issue, not uncommon. If it's been off at the mains for some time, no matter how you try to switch it on, it will fail. Switch it off then back on and it will be fine.

If you got it from a local shop, they should swap it out for you no problem.

Cheers. Must be one of the intermitant probs then 'cos I was actually surprised how well that's worked. Would tend to come home from work, grab the post, grab the remote, flick the 360 on whilst walking into the kitchen with the remote, make a coffee and sit down for instant action!

O well, so long as it's fixable.

Back
Top Bottom