Failed Segate Drive part of raid 0 Set

nam

nam

Soldato
Hi,

I have a failed Seagate barrcuda 120GB SATA Raid 0 drive. At present the drive is not seen in the Bios although the second drive of the Raid 0 set is seen in the bios. The drive seems to spin-up and is warm to touch. My Motherboard is a Asus P4C800-E.

Any ideas on the best way to recover drive ?

Associate
Right what sort of raid setup did you use, was it herdware or software based?
Im assuming you have swapped out both power and Sata cables, if still not showing in the BIOS then as Dutch Guy said screwed, if you can get it to show up but still failed in the raid array you can try deleting the array and setting it up again, but make sure you set it up EXACTLY as it was before, same stripe size and DONT say yes to delete and data or partitions then try a reboot and see what happens.
If you get it to work get the data off asap.
I had that twice, but the drive was still in the BIOS did the above and got it all backfirst time, was due to a faulty Sata cable but last time the drive was blank and lost it all.

Hope you get it back

Soldato
Seagate S-ATA's are quite poor in RAID0 Arrays. We have had loads of them just kill an array. There was something about it on the Seagate website thats why they bought out some Raid Edition drives like the WD ones... Only problem is they are silly money as they are stupidly huuuuuge (Minimum 300gb) :rolleyes: I dont know why they dont just incorporate the same technology into every day drives and be done with it...

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
h2ocooler said:
Right what sort of raid setup did you use, was it herdware or software based?
Im assuming you have swapped out both power and Sata cables, if still not showing in the BIOS then as Dutch Guy said screwed, if you can get it to show up but still failed in the raid array you can try deleting the array and setting it up again, but make sure you set it up EXACTLY as it was before, same stripe size and DONT say yes to delete and data or partitions then try a reboot and see what happens.
If you get it to work get the data off asap.
I had that twice, but the drive was still in the BIOS did the above and got it all backfirst time, was due to a faulty Sata cable but last time the drive was blank and lost it all.

Hope you get it back

Hi,

2 drives are on the mb hardware raid (intel controller), mb is the Asus P4C800-E. You mentioned deleting the array, if i do this will i not lose all the data on the drives ?

Associate
Look on the asus website about arrays, thats where it told me to do it, your not actually deleting the data but the array setup data in the controler as it could be that the controler has stopped seeing the other drive as part of your array, then when you set it up again it will think its a new array but you have to use EXACTLY the same settings as BEFORE, hopefully your data will be intact, mine was.

FROM THE ASUS WEB SITE

Question

For the Data Recovery function in Promise PDC20319 controller on AP130-E1 server, how to recover the data when RAID 0 array went offline?

Answer

If one of the RAID 0 hard drives has failed, it is not possible to recover your data. If all of the members of the array are still functioning, it may be possible to recover your data. In the FastBuild BIOS utility, delete the array and re-create it. Please make sure that when you recreate the array you use exactly the same array settings (RAID level, drive assignments, and stripe size) of the original array.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom