Help me get rid of modemlock.exe

Soldato
I'm currently fixing my uncle's computer, and I cannot delete modemlock.exe. It starts up with the computer and gives this warning:

Warning!

The modem lock configuration or BT Yahoo! internet installation is corrupt- reinstall the dialler.

There was quite a bit of spyware that I removed, I've deleted the BT yahoo installation, but this modemlock.exe keeps appearing, I can't close the damn pop up window. For some reason I am unable to log into safe mode to delete the file in the bt yahoo folder, and when I try and delete it in normal mode, it won't let me.

Is there any program that will kill the process completely so I can delete it? OR is there a program that will delete the file instantly regardless of the fact that it is currently running in the background?

This thing is driving me nuts. Any help would be very appreciated. :)

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately not. :( I don't even think he has the quick restore cds anymore. The main problem with the computer for the last week or so was that it wouldn't connect to the internet. I removed a few viruses and over 8000 trojans :eek: yesterday. One of them must have been a dialler that tried to take over the internet connection but since BT have installed modemlock.exe to stop the connection from being hijacked, this stopped them from being able to get online at all.

All the spyware and stuff has been removed, I've deleted the bt installation and removed the drivers for the modem, so I can install fresh drivers. But this modemlock.exe is not budging, I just need a way to get rid of it to reinstall the modem, bt login details and firefox.

Soldato
OP
I can kill the pop-up windows, but the process stays there running in the background, I've even disabled it starting up, but it's still there.

Safe mode won't work for some reason, whenever it gets to the login screen and I click on the user profile, the computer restarts. :(

Man of Honour
Open regedit (Start>Run>regedit), then navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

.. in the right-hand pane, is there any relevant modemlock.exe listings?

EDIT: Also look in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nothing but I did find this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BT\BTopenworld

there's a string called "Connecting to BT Yahoo! Internet

value data= 119.194.438.524

:confused:

@ Peace - I tried that, I just connected the computer to my network at home. Didn't find anything interesting, although it classified Lavasoft Ad-aware as spyware. :)

Soldato
OP
I have disabled it, but it starts up anyway. I've tried deleting it, but it won't let me. I've tried using Norton Safe Erase or whatever it's called and it fails every time. I've tried stopping the service, it won't let me. For some reason safe mode won't let me log into the desktop, so I've ruled that out for a quick fix. This thing really is driving me nuts, flamin' BT!! Grrrr

Does anyone know of a program that will delete the files easily? I know some programs will fail in deleting it because Windows will tell it, that it's an important file or whatever, I'm after a program that will and can delete anything you want it to regardless of permissions or what type of file it is.

Back
Top Bottom