Head Bans St George

Man of Honour
England flags and stickers have been banned from a city school because the headteacher claims they are linked to the BNP. Teachers and students at Birches Head High School have been told not to display the St George's cross in the countdown to the World Cup.

The move has been criticised by union officials and angered teachers who say it is their right to show their patriotism ahead of the World Cup.

A statement in the school's weekly bulletin from headteacher Karen Healy said: "We agreed that we will not let students wear flags as these are used by the British National Party.

"Therefore, can we not have flags on our cars if they are on school premises during the World Cup as it could be difficult when children bring flags into school."

A member of staff, who did not wish to be named, said staff at the school had not been consulted about the policy.

He said: "It is a ridiculous decision. For somebody to tell me that I am not allowed to display my national flag because it may be seen as racist is absolutely disgusting.

"A lot of the kids are not aware of this but we have had some asking us why they can't wear badges or stickers."

Janet Riley, of Abbey Hulton, whose son Shaun attends the school, said: "I think students should be allowed to display badges on their bags and coats and I think teachers should be allowed to have flags on their cars and support their team like everyone else."

A spokesman for the NASUWT teaching union said advice should have been given to teachers rather than imposing a ban.

He said: "While we are sensitive to the issue of the BNP we simply would have preferred the headteacher to offer some advice to teachers rather than issue a ban."

Ms Healy said: "Our policy is no badges in school because we give out badges for awards.

"We can't stop staff displaying flags on their cars ahead of the football tournament. We would rather they didn't but they are adults.

"We would rather that people did not wear badges of any kind whether they are Pakistani, Nigerian or Scottish.

"We can't be associated with any political party."

Paul Breeze, councillor for Birches Head and Northwood and governor at the school, said: "The headteacher should be given support.

"The school is in special measures and doing really well and she is doing a great job."

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...e=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch#views

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not suprised at all, I don't think my school is any different. Its a crying shame. :(

Edit:

I think there is a blanket ban on any football related clothing in my school (club shirts etc), not sure though....

Caporegime
Some of our neighbours fly a St. George's Cross all the time. I refer to them as the BNP. I'm only vaguely serious, but there you go.

Nationalism in this country isn't all that accepted these days.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Just imagine the next statement can't you:

Right kids we are requesting all of you to cover up from head to toe in rainbow coloured clothing and to not speak.

This will prevent any potential for us to be accused of being racially prejudice to any group or to be accused of supporting anything or anyone.

Soldato
I've just been on a computer hardware web site where the owners are quite obviously Asian (having visited the actual shop), and they have an England "bunting" image running across the top of their home page. I wonder if they realise the English national flag is actually an indication of BNP support? ;) That school headmaster is a fool because by taking the stance he did, he's encouraged the hijacking of our national flag by a far-right, racist organisation.

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL :D At work (in the centre of a multi-cultural company) we have more flags than I can count! :p

It's mad that they ban them in the an English School when we can have the 1966 World Cup final looping 24/7 in front of the German campaign! :p

Soldato
vonhelmet said:
Some of our neighbours fly a St. George's Cross all the time. I refer to them as the BNP. I'm only vaguely serious, but there you go.

Nationalism in this country isn't all that accepted these days.

If they were BNP wouldnt they be flying the Union flag?

Back
Top Bottom