which speed ram ?

Zye

Zye

Associate
hi ive been reading these forums for some time now but only recently registered and as its time for a RAM upgrade i thought id get some input from some people who have a better idea than me.
Im after a new 2gb of ram as my old 4x 512mb 2.5cl pc3200 is begining to show errors.
Im running an AMD 64 4000 ocd slightly to 2.7ghz, 7900gtx 512mb (old 7800gtx 512mb went bang 1 week ago thanks ocuk for replacing it :) ) on an asus A8N5X mobo.
thing is im unsure what ram i can run, and whats best to run, ive gathered that 2 x 1gb sticks is better to use than 4x 512mb with my processor, but what speed ram can i run, should i stick with pc3200 at 400mhz or can i run some of the faster pc4000 ram or anything higher ?

my budget is about £140-£160 and its used mainly as a gaming system.

thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me :)

Tony

Nix

Nix

Soldato
You should be able to run any DRR RAM you want. Yes, two 1024 sticks are better than one and better than four 512s because you can duel channel them, which is faster and more efficient.

I'd recommend you looking at the Cosair or Geil chips. If you want super timings you can look at Ballistix, but Ballistix have been known to cause users an array of problems.

Zye

Zye

Associate
OP
aha on more investigation (which i guess i should have done more searching before hand - doh) ive found that my board only lists upto pc3200 ram as compatable, does that mean faster will simply not work, or run at a slower speed (seeing as its all 184pin), if it will just run at a slower speed but will work, ill go for the faster ram as itll save me another upgrade at a later time, but obviously if it simply wont run, ill go with the best pc3200 i can find.
(if this seems like a stupid question its as ive read on varius forums that pc4000 both will and wont work so wondeirng if anyone can clarify thats tried it)

thanks again

Tony

(ps thanks for the reply)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom