• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

athlon 64 3000 vs 2600xp thoroughbred

Associate
Hi guys,
I'm slightly confused, to be honest i lost track when things all changed from socket A (lol my knowledge really needs updating! :D )

Anyway i was running cpu benchmarks on sandra 2003 and i cant help notice that on the cpu arithmatic and multimedia the athlon 64 3000 is slower.

This makes me wonder if the 2600 would be faster for folding(@home)? and also how they would perform in games.
I have read the clock speed is 1.8 Ghz compared with the 2600 xp thoroughbreds 2.1 Ghz. Basically i wondered why AMD lowered the clock speed with the early models of the athlon64. why they didnt keep the same clockspeeds (or better) in addition to the different architecture (64 bit, more cache etc)

i know that obviously the athlon 64 has superior performance for 64bit apps etc but what about general usage for 32bit apps?

and mainly what about for games? is the athlon 64 3000 superior?

i know the questions in this thread are very obvious for most of you guys out there, but i would appreciate having my knowledge updated, and this thread would be an interesting read for other people too.

Thanks for any replies....and its a bank holiday weekend Woohoo!! :D

Associate
all models keep clock speeds respective to their performance rating, and the athlon 64 will out do the socket a on a few things like the a 64 has its own memory controller on the actual cpu not the motherboard,the cpus are on a diferent architecture athlon xp is K7 amd 64 is K8, u have dual channel possible on the athlon 64 socket 939 alll the differences cept th architecture im stating are for socket 939 socket 754 i think doesnt have much differences cept the architecture, im sure someone else will explain in better detail this is how i understand it anyways apart from the different manufacturing processes and the a64s run cooler and clocks a lot better tbh hope that helps and not tottally in correct lol but big bros on now so im gone :D

Permabanned
I just changed from an 3200 barton to a 3000+ venice, and although the clock speed is conciderably slower the A64 outperforms the k7 at almost everything. There are a few things in which the additional clock speed of the k7 helps, but there few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom