Just bought something a tad wild!

Associate
Just bought one of these! Hope i've done the right thing. Hopefully take delivery in 3-4 weeks.

For those not in the know.... Kawasaki ZZR-1400. Nigh on 200Bhp and 200mph... actually electronically limited to 186mph. Sub 2 sec 0-60 and sub 10 sec standing quarters... from stock :D

ZZR-1400.jpg

Associate
mikeh501 said:
actually electronically limited to 186mph

That always makes me chuckle, same thing with top end cars, limited to 155mph - why bother!? It's seriously above the speed limit anywho.

Wicked Bike, only wish the Mrs would allow me my balls back so I could get something so hysterically fast :p

Soldato
schnipps said:
Never rode a bike and always wondered how on earth you hold onto it pulling you to 60 that quick!!

It's a rush.

The "buzz" helps you hold on.

I've changed the stock gearing on mine. Hits 60 in around 2 seconds, although my top end is now around 160 instead of the previous 175. :p

Soldato
muhu said:
That always makes me chuckle, same thing with top end cars, limited to 155mph - why bother!? It's seriously above the speed limit anywho.

Wicked Bike, only wish the Mrs would allow me my balls back so I could get something so hysterically fast :p

because it's the speedlimit here and not in other countries? :p cars limited to 155 tend to be due to a gentlemans agreement between a few of the top german manufacturers, as if they were all unlimited there'd be a lot more 155+ speeds on the autobahn, which would in turn cause more accidents, and thus possibly get the unlimited sections removed....which no one wants :)

Absolutely stunning bike btw mate, how much did it set you back?

Tom.

Soldato
that is bonkers. kodus to you for having the guts to get it. i want a bike but dont trust myself/my abilities.

enjoy. a vid of an acceleration run would be funny!

Associate
OP
Draeger said:
What colour did you go for m8?.

I went with the one pictured, pearl meteor grey I think its called. Didnt like the blue one, made the side slats stick out too much.

I guess the headline figures are what most people see in a bike like this, but I'm more interested in ability on long journeys and stuff. Plenty of grunt and high speed cruise ability are why I'm buying it. The bike is sold as a hyper sports, but its really a sports tourer... with a big engine :D

Think VFR800 with twice as much power LMAO :p

Price wise, I paid list price :eek: Not normal for me but if you want one of these this year then you better bend over, otherwise you will be waiting until the end of the season for deals. The list price is £8995.

That vid was good, but this one really makes you think!

Another video, insane!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice, I have to admit though when I first saw the new styling it took a while to grow on me, but now, I like it...quite a lot!!

Soldato
Interesting vid clip there, Mikeh.

Brought back a few memories. I had a mate's Suzuki Busa ( one of the early models, not restricted ) for a week when we swapped bikes for a bit.

It was "warp factor" insane. He had twin Yoshi Tri-ovals on it and it was mildly tuned up with a PC3. Went like stink.

I still prefer the v-twin grunt the Mille offers, but thats just because of the way I ride, the power delivery seems to suit me better.

Was toying with the idea of jumping ship from V-twins and going back to an inline 4, but I'm going to be in the market for a new bike later this year and I want to wait and see what Ducati come out with first, for their road going replacement of the 999.

I might wait even longer and see what Aprilia manage to come up with with this new V4 superbike that they are supposed to be building, and launching in 2007.

Till then, the RSV is more than enough to be giving me my "kicks" on the road. :cool:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
From all that I have read, the reason it is limited (by gearing, not by electronics) is to stop a top speed war with Suzuki. They geared the first few hundred to do silly, silly speeds and then changed the ratios to stop the bikes from reaching that speed. I think there is a quote from Kawasaki somewhere saying they wanted people who bought these to be around for their next bikes so they 'maimed' it so things didnt get out of hand.

Soldato
Amazing bike. Will always remember the 90's adverts for the ZZR1100

'0-60 in 2.9 seconds..........in first gear"

Speaking of nice vids I'm going to watch this in about 10 days :) Used to live there for about 5 years and its a stunning spectacle if you're a bike nut. Probably going to watch on Sulby straight by the pub where the bikes reach over 180mph and pass by you about 10ft away and then at the grandstand on race day itself. The riders are madder than a bag of frogs but much respect for those speeds around what is mostly lined by dry stone walling. I love the manx idea of road safety - they dont put catseyes in the public road because it spoils the racing line for the bikes and they strap sandbags around telephone/post boxes and lamp posts, which obviously makes all the difference if you hit one at over 120mph!

I think I probably hold the slowest lap record when I took an old austin maestro 1.3 round the course on mad sunday :p

Associate
OP
DRZ said:
From all that I have read, the reason it is limited (by gearing, not by electronics) is to stop a top speed war with Suzuki. They geared the first few hundred to do silly, silly speeds and then changed the ratios to stop the bikes from reaching that speed. I think there is a quote from Kawasaki somewhere saying they wanted people who bought these to be around for their next bikes so they 'maimed' it so things didnt get out of hand.

Actually it was a "gentlemans" agreement between the big japanese bike manufacturers. This was basically to stop the one-upmanship that was happening at the time ZZR11>Hayabusa>Blackbird>ZX-12R etc.

The ZZR1400 is actually limited through the ECU not through gearing at all. The bike will do 186 in 5th :D It was only the original busa which was completely unrestricted - but I'm not even sure that was through gearing, most likely the ECU

Back
Top Bottom