PSP v DS (lite)

Caporegime
Still torn don't know which of these to buy. I have a Lite on pre order just in case. Anyone had both a PSP and a DS? Which did you prefer.

In truth Ive never much been into the mario games, the last I played was on the NES. I mainly play driving games, sports games and FPS like graw.

Which seems to be pointing me at the PSP. Yet the DS is much cheaper and for the amount I will use it, holidays and such seems the more logical puchase. Graphically they seem about the same?

Any one else worked through this dilemma :confused:

Associate
graphically the PSP is significantly superior. However, the DS does have 2 screens and a much better battery life, and is still capable of good, clear graphics for a handheld.

As for driving games, the DS has Mario Kart (it's online too! great fun) and erm, mario kart. I'm sure others will come along. Can't think of any sports titles off the top of my head, but they don't generally interest me much. The DS has a very good multiplayer and single player FPS also, Metroid Prime Hunters. The touch screen makes for a more precise style of aiming too, so it is better suited for FPS games.

The PSP may have better graphics, but the DS has a larger library of good games and will be more fun :)

Caporegime
OP
Looking through the titles, lots of well known 'brand games' like Nba and outrun, f1, mcrae, football manager seem to be only for the sony. Is this going to change? The line up for Ds games seems at a glance to be for a younger audience.

I like the look of a DS much more, but the game line up worries me a bit.

Are psp games region free too?

Last edited:
Soldato
I had both PSP and DS, sold the DS and have kept the PSP.
Basically the DS didnt have anything i wanted to play on it at the time, but now a year on a few things are catching my eye and i am will probably get a DS lite when they come out.
Everyone will give you a different answer on here, a lot of folk like the DS, a lot like the PSP. All that can really do is look at the games that are out just now on both systems and see what you like the look of most. Then go to ign and look at the preview section for both and confuse youself even more lol
My Advice, Buy Both :p lol

Associate
dannyjo22 said:
Looking through the titles, lots of well known 'brand games' like Nba and outrun, f1, mcrae, football manager seem to be only for the sony. Is this going to change? The line up for Ds games seems at a glance to be for a younger audience.

I like the look of a DS much more, but the game line up worries me a bit.

Are psp games region free too?

Problem is, the majority of brand games are pretty poor in comparison to the more original games on offer on DS.

Try and complete Trauma Centre, then tell me the DS is a console for kids ;) .

My mate has both, and the PSP has been collecting dust for months now. The great game list is pitiful compared to the DS. Get yourself a DS and any combination of Mario Kart DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, Advance Wars Dual Strike, Ouendan, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Centre, Mario 64 DS, New Super Mari o Brothers and Tetris DS and you'll be laughing mate.

Associate
True, many of the games on the DS aren't designed with excessive gore to target 'adult gamers', and rather than a large library of brand games, as you called them, it has many original games. A few that might interest you:

Advance Wars: Dual Strike: Highly rated strategy game, looks simple but is quite deep.

Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow: You know what to expect if you've played any of the more recent Castlevania games, Metroid style adventure where you build up your character as you go along.

Metroid Prime: Hunters: FPS with strong single player and multiplayer, and some of the best graphics for the DS.

Trauma Centre: Under the Knife: A sim in which you use the touchscreen to perform complex surgery in a time limit. Quite challenging, fun and original and a good way to show off the DS :D

Fifa 06: Brand sport game like you mentioned looking for, supposed to be quite good.

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence: I think it's a port of the original resident evil, but contains features unique to the DS like use of the touchscreen to use the knife (slashing)

So, yes, there aren't many brand games and if that's all you care about then the PSP is probably more for you. However, there are a couple of sport games on the DS, and like the ones I've mentioned above, some which are not aimed at a younger audience. I'd also add that most of the DS games aren't aimed at a young audience, just a wide one. Games like Mario are enjoyed by kids and adults alike.

Permabanned
People keep saying kids games this, kids games that at the end of the day as long as the games are fun who cares if they are for kids. :D From what I can gather after looking at the for sale forums and here is people tend to buy the PSP and get bored after a month or so. Obviously, this isn't the case for everyone.

Associate
I had both, sold em both. Now looking to get DS because the redesign and some few rpg's I want to play. e.g Final Fantasy III, children of mana and new mario.

PSP is nice and sleek but you just get the feeling you've played most of the games before (PS2). I got bored of the PSP after 3 weeks and didn't touch it for 3 months. Also my 4 of my friends who bought PSP, also sold it within 6 months.

Soldato
Everyone I know that had a PSP sold it and got a DS instead.

I'm still thinking about picking up a PSP for PES5...

If you already have an Xbox or PS2 they're not such good value for money as they're basically just poorer versions of their big brothers whereas DS games tend to be original. (except the crappy ones)

Associate
I have both and I have plenty of PSP games, the only one I play is Football Manager and thats rare. The DS gets played every day, it just seems a lot more FUN and this to me is what games are about. The new Mario is fantastic and I dare you to find a better racing game on a handheld then Mario Kart.

BUY A DS NOW!

Soldato
I have both and love both, If i was you i would buy a PSP now and pick up a cheap DS in the future as they both play different games, I really couldn't choose between them.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks guys more food for thought, perhaps i'm struggling getting my head around how mario kart could be a good racer game compared to an f1 game. Its a cartoon for gawds sake ;)

I will look through that list you gave me tommo to see some screenies, see if I like the loook of them.

But its true I looked and the MM and a lot of PSP's end up there.

Soldato
DS has NFS:Most Wanted...

Don't be tempted, it's an awful game :p Good graphics though.

Also,

DS > PSP

It has download play(EXCELLENT FEATURE!!) You don't need to have the same games to MP on them, as you can download temporarily a cut-down version from the person with the game and play against each other.

The touch screen rules for FPS's (Eg: Metroid Prime: Hunters)

Mario Kart is immense

Apparently animal crossing is great, although I don't like it.

Mario 64 is good fun.

You can play against people over wifi and use the mic to chat with them

You can just type to them with the stylus and an onscreen keyboard.

It's got better battery life

It's literally indestructible... the amount of times I've dropped "mine"(Fair enough, it's my little brother's ;) )

You can soon get a DTV card and also a web browser..

it's all positive :D

Associate
Both consoles are great and have there own advantages, but for me it will allways be the PSP

What you see on the PSP now is only the beginning trust me :p

Metal Gear on PSP will be my nirvana

Caporegime
If you want to be using a PSP on holiday, you'd best be using it indoors. It's unplayable outside (even in the UK).

The better range of games are definitely on the DS but the movie playback of the PSP is cool (infact, the only thing I like about it).

Associate
dannyjo22 said:
I will look through that list you gave me tommo to see some screenies, see if I like the loook of them.

The screenshots may not impress you much, but if you look at videos and see the way the games work (particularly Metroid multiplayer) you should see they're nothing to scoff at.

Either way, the decision ought not be made on graphics. Even if a game's beautiful, if it has no substance the graphics won't keep you coming back to the game. Whereas if the gameplay is fun, then the graphics become part of the background. They shouldn't be so poor as to detract from the experience, as very bad graphics would; but they needn't be so gobsmacking that the development of the game neglects the actual gameplay.

Even if a woman was completely stunning, you wouldn't have a longlasting relationship if she had no personality to speak of. Similarly, I think you'd grow tired of the PSP quickly. I'm sure the PSP has some good games, but I would wait until both the price is lower and there are some excellent games rather than a couple of good ones. I'm sure MGS will be a great game, and when there are enough games on the PSP which catch my attention I'd be tempted to buy one.

At the moment however, the DS is a far better choice. Better games, better value, better multiplayer support, better battery life, more innovative. If you just want an underpowered PS2 without the battery life to support long journeys or extended use, get the PSP.

I think you know the right choice ;)

Back
Top Bottom