N00b - Overclocking Question is this safe

Associate
hi, i have been trying to overclock my amd64 for the last 2days, it was running at stock speed which was 1800mhz.

the ram i have got is 1gb Geil, pc3200 DDR400

I have now set my Dram at 200mhz, my HT at 2x's and my cpu feq to 278mhz.

its now running at 2.5ghz

the cpu temp idel is 35c, when high its about 49 to 50c.

are these settings safe or if you know any that would be better and faster please would you post them up for me, im running it with the stock fan also... so i dont want to play with the voltage.

Danny!

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't in your case. The temps are fine, but I personally wouldn't. I'd get better cooling if I was to overclock. For instance better Air cooling. But I think that Oc is superb for Air and temps being like that.

Good job.

Associate
OP
Vita said:
I wouldn't in your case. The temps are fine, but I personally wouldn't. I'd get better cooling if I was to overclock. For instance better Air cooling. But I think that Oc is superb for Air and temps being like that.

Good job.

im just running prime95 now the torture test
the cpu temp has gone up to 48c

running at 100%

Associate
spend £30 on a nice CPU cooler and you will get a really nice overclock.

the way you want to think is:

spend £30 on cooling and overclock to the speeds of a processor worth treble that.

not blowing my own trumpet, but my £70 processor out speeds a £500 FX-55 at stock, and thats not to be sniffed at.

You got the understanding of overclocking, so go for extra cooling, its cheaper than buying a more expensive processor. :)

Associate
OP
gr1mey said:
spend £30 on a nice CPU cooler and you will get a really nice overclock.

the way you want to think is:

spend £30 on cooling and overclock to the speeds of a processor worth treble that.

not blowing my own trumpet, but my £70 processor out speeds a £500 FX-55 at stock, and thats not to be sniffed at.

You got the understanding of overclocking, so go for extra cooling, its cheaper than buying a more expensive processor. :)

thats sounds like a good idea / money saver m8.... will it effect my performance a lot now that my ram is set to 200mhz when its 400mhz ?

Associate
Is it a sempron you have, they clock well and you have done ok there especially for a first try.
On a very cheap setup I got a similar processor to 2.6ghz only slightly better then you. It did 37 secs in Superpi which is a good general guide to how well you've done.

Ive found prime wont always show an unstable system, its usually ok though. OCCT seems to do more feedback/testing as its working and is more likely to stop if the cpu is giving bad results.
It does a half hour test and gives graphs of your temps which can be usefull for tuning the fans, etc.

Yes its safe, just dont let it keep crashing if theres a problem. Always clock it as high as you can (ask on here for safe volts for ram/cpu) then trim it back a few mhz for every day use. One hot summer day you'll be glad you left some leeway in there

Associate
OP
Fulcrum said:
Is it a sempron you have, they clock well and you have done ok there especially for a first try.
On a very cheap setup I got a similar processor to 2.6ghz only slightly better then you. It did 37 secs in Superpi which is a good general guide to how well you've done.

Ive found prime wont always show an unstable system, its usually ok though. OCCT seems to do more feedback/testing as its working and is more likely to stop if the cpu is giving bad results.
It does a half hour test and gives graphs of your temps which can be usefull for tuning the fans, etc.

Yes its safe, just dont let it keep crashing if theres a problem. Always clock it as high as you can (ask on here for safe volts for ram/cpu) then trim it back a few mhz for every day use. One hot summer day you'll be glad you left some leeway in there

Thanks for the post, its the amd64 athlon chip its not the sempron :D

I have just ran 3dmark 2001 and got a score = 19800, also ran prime95 for about 40mins on the torture test and it passed the first three ok.... then ran hot cpu tester on the benchmark and got 9000 somthing... seems to be not crashing so far.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Fulcrum said:
Sounds like a great overclock then, get superpi and do us a screenshot of it, http://superpi.radeonx.com

tryed to post up a screenshot but im unable to do it on the forum ... does anyone know host that i can just upload the pic to..

anyways did superpi and it does the 1mb at 44secs is that fast or slow ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom