Wii Graphics - Bloom/hdr?

Soldato
Having a look at these graphics, they don't look like gamecube style stuff and the lighting looks pretty impressive.

Is this bloom or something?

These graphics certainly don't look bad to me..

Video which shows using the reel, then goes into video feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HLr9dgHjPQ&eurl=http://gonintendo.com/?p=2788

Long video with intro, from player's perspective.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uevhMvzDiFM&search=zelda fishing

Definately seems much better graphically to me than the gamecube and other old gen systems.

Lots of landscape shots with what seems again to be bloom (more easy to see on this when it zooms out from clouds:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NjCEVQw656M&search=zelda twilight princess

Soldato
But is that on SD screen? Does the Wii have a HD output? I have a HD screen and the problem is non-HD signals look crap. My Xbox and PS2 feed via scart was shocking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Energize said:
Lol it seems they were having some difficulty with the new controller at the start of that zelda video :p

Hmm I was thinking that too. I wonder how 'sensitive' the controller will be. I'd like it to be very precise with fast tracking for fps etc, but at the same time it must be smooth.

Associate
Energize said:
Lol it seems they were having some difficulty with the new controller at the start of that zelda video :p

A lot of people at E3 likened using the controller for the first time to using a mouse/keyboard. The fact that people are having trouble at first but improving significantly after spending a little more time (on the more intricate games of course) with the controller. I'd be more worried about the system fi there wasn't a learning curve.

I'm pretty sure that third video is a gamecube vid by the way. Might have been from E3 2005 -- not very sure.

Soldato
Lee456 said:
and I'll always take gameplay over graphics
Personally, I'd rather have both! - that's why I might avoid Nintendo this time around (or at least until the price comes right down in a few years). :p

Last edited:
Associate
MY main worry about the wii was that a larger tv would be needed to enjoy the games properly, but thats a pretty small tv thats being used,, maybe my sammy 26 will be ok :) Also do you think that the controlls will work as good if your in a sitting position, really dont want to raise my tv any higher,lol

Associate
deSade said:
Personally, I'd rather have both! :p

Me too, and theres no reason why we shouldnt :)

My old Xbox looks awefull on a HDTV and thats one of the things that puts me off the Wii. If a load of people get a HDTV for there PS3 or 360 in there room, then get a Wii, will you set up a seperate SDTV for your Wii(genuine question)?

Soldato
Buzza said:
Me too, and theres no reason why we shouldnt :)
Quoted because you agree with me! :D ;)

I've never understood the Graphics/Gameplay argument. Surely if there's the option to have both, you'd take that option? :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
deSade said:

I've never understood the Graphics/Gameplay arguement. Surely if there's the option to have both, you'd take that option? :confused:

Sure, but I was basically saying that since the Wii is seen to be the least graphically-able of the 3 consoles, it doesn't bother me because I rate gameplay over pretty trees and reflective water :)

(but I wouldn't mind the trees and water if it's available ;) )

Associate
deSade said:

I've never understood the Graphics/Gameplay arguement. Surely if there's the option to have both, you'd take that option? :confused:

I also agree with this sentiment. It isn't really a dichotomy of good graphics or good gameplay, but I don't see graphics as that big a factor - their main purpose is to draw the player into the game, and this is achieved just as well via the sound and the way the game plays. I wouldn't care if games still looked like System Shock 2 if they were all as immersive.

Like Lee456 says, I don't see the Wii's lesser graphical abilities a reason to avoid the console, though I do concede it is a disadvantage over the other two consoles. Good graphics are fantastic when they compliment an already good game.

Associate
There is no reason why Wii games will not have both nice graphics and great gameplay. For me it isn't all about nice effects and as close as possible to photo realism, if the game has a distinctive graphic style or graphics are used artisticly they often appeal more. For example, super mario world still looks graphicaly brilliant and unique, while a lot of the recent next gen games all look rather bland. I think MGS4 will set the standard for next gen, as it has its own style and they always look great.

Soldato
TommoUK said:
I also agree with this sentiment. It isn't really a dichotomy of good graphics or good gameplay, but I don't see graphics as that big a factor - their main purpose is to draw the player into the game, and this is achieved just as well via the sound and the way the game plays. I wouldn't care if games still looked like System Shock 2 if they were all as immersive.
True - but graphics have just as important place in creating an immersive game as other factors. We shouldn't be having to worry about the gameplay/graphics argument anymore, as they are all equally important - especially as the technology is now there (IMO).

I think I just agreed with you! :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
WatchTower said:
Will I be able to connect a Wii straight out the box to my LCD monitor? I Hope so as TVs suck.
If not then I won't be getting a Wii. It was mentioned aaaaaaaaages ago that it would connect to a monitor via VGA but nothing has been said since then.

Back
Top Bottom