Slow download speeds with upgraded 8meg...

Soldato
Last friday i recieved my 2mb > 8mb upgrade with AOL platinum. Connected once at 4.8Mbps and then again at 6.8Mbps. However, even downloading from fast UK servers such as Zen my average download speed is only topping 400kbs max. Most of the time it is about 350kbs which is only a 100kbs more than my previous 2Mb.

Every time i connect it is at a different rate. The fastest i've seen at the moment is 7.1Mbps but still the download speeds have never gone anywhere near 7meg speeds (i imagine i should be getting 750kb from most decent servers?)

Is this normal to connect at varied speeds, or are they just working out what the best speed is for my home?

The AOL representatives are absolutely pants and can't tell me anything, so i thought i'd try here :)

Soldato
OP
Sorry, forgot to mention, im using a standard BT voyager ADSL modem via USB. I have two routers that i can try if required. (one generic and a netgear dg632) :)

Is it possible that the modem can't handle the speed upgrade? I know routers go up to ADSL2+ or something :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
LoadsaMoney said:
Though it took about 10 days or so of varying speeds until it settled down to a speed that you can handle. :)

The BRAS limit is supposed to move to match a stable (average) sync rate within 3 days.

As Olly says, get rid of the USB modem for starters.

Back
Top Bottom