Interview dress code

Soldato
Hi,

I need to buy a shirt and a tie to go with my grey suit. What colour would you say is suitable for an interview?

:)

The firm is a website consultancy organisation based in london.

Last edited:
Soldato
VeNT said:
naked, with a tie

You can't say they will forget about you when you leave the room.

Anyway, pink goes quite well with grey, but I haven't got round to wearing one. Go to Debenhams, and ask one of the employees there.

Associate
As said, suit, shirt and tie in nice, inoffensive pastel colours. Also, remember to polish your shoes and generally be clean and tidy.

Associate
Matteh said:
As said, suit, shirt and tie in nice, inoffensive pastel colours. Also, remember to polish your shoes and generally be clean and tidy.

I've got an interview next week for a school ICT technician job. I was going to wear my black pin stripe jacket and trousers with a plain black shirt (black and silver tie). Should I change my choice now? lol.

A part of me is also thinking I should wear my light blue shirt (pale pastel blue) with a darker, but still light blue tie.

Choices choices!

Associate
Although there is nothing wrong with what you have planned to wear (I often wear dark/all black shirts, suits and ties to work) I would personally wear something a bit lighter and brighter for your interview, so imo go with the light blue shirt + tie.

At the end of the day it will come down to what your more comfortable in, and your interview isn't really a fashion contest - As long as you are dressed smartly, your clean, hair in place and you carry yourself well you should be fine.

Good luck all round btw!

Permabanned
Would a pair of plain black cheap o school trousers, smart black shoes and a shirt be ok for an interview? I've got an interview with Tesco and I plan to work their over the summer and I've not got a suit.

Associate
VeNT said:
thats slightly different to a real job tho isn't it?

yes. I was answering Violent-J's question, not the OP's one, which I had already given my input to. Any 'proper' job interview I've gone to I've been fully suited and booted :)

Man of Honour
Violent-J said:
Would a pair of plain black cheap o school trousers, smart black shoes and a shirt be ok for an interview? I've got an interview with Tesco and I plan to work their over the summer and I've not got a suit.

As long as the trowsers are neat and tidy, and importantly ironed, then it should be okay, you'll look smart enough I reckon.

I've hot 10 interviews in the last 3 months, oh god I hate them now, I've had a couple of 'informal' interviews, where i've dressed down via not wearing a tie or jacket, but keeping the rest.

If you go for just trowsers + shirt + tie, then wear a smart jacket if the weather is bad, don't go for some random sports jacket as that will totally spoil it :)

Soldato
Tbh, I only wore a full suit on my first interview then realised it made me uncomfy. Every other time, it has been trousers, shirt and tie only. I don't really think a suit jacket is that important in most job interviews, especially in warm weather. You just end up looking overdressed.

Caporegime
ive always liked the idea of taking note of what you would be wearing in the position you are applying for, then dressing a level above it.

failing that, ring and ask what would be most appropriate to wear to the interview :]

Back
Top Bottom