The smell of smokers

Man of Honour
Lets clear one thing up - I've never smoked but I'm not against smoking and I think the ban in pubs is stupid but this is not the debate.
If smokers could smell themselves I'm positive a lot would give up.
My house is a smoke free zone and you can tell in an instant when somebody walks in who's been smoking and when they go we have to open up doors etc to let the smell out.
I was quite rude about 4 years ago to one of my daughters mates when they were 15. This girl stood in the hallway and I went and opened up the door and my daughter asked why. I turned to the girl and told her I was sorry but you are stinking my house out with the stale smoke coming from you.
She never came again.
Its my birthday today and we've had to keep one present in the garage from my Dad. The wife bought it upstairs for me to open and all the smell had gone from it.
I opened it up and its like Pandoras Box of smells coming from it and we've had to fumigate the bedroom.
Whats worse is that the England T-shirt doesn't fit and we've got to take it back and get a larger size by my wife has got to try and get rid of the smoke from it.

Just a birthday rant.

Soldato
Yup, smokers smell horrible. Luckily no one in my family smokes so I don't have to put up with it too often.

Whenever I buy something from ebay I can always tell whether the previous owner was a smoker. If they were it normally has to live in the shed for a few days.

Man of Honour
I agree with the stench form smokers. However, I cannot wait until the smoking ban comes in as I want to enjoy a pint in good company without being fumigated with a carcenogenic gas.

Have a great birthday. :)

Zip

Zip

Soldato
I hate the smell of smoke aswell.
I can smell if one of my friends parents are smokers or not because it seems to stick on my friends aswell.

Happy Birthday Dmpoole, your getting old :D

Nix

Nix

Soldato
TBH I think the smoking ban is well overdue, sorry dmp but looks like the thread is going to be hijacked. I HATE waking up and coughing my guts up because I was at work or out the night before, and it's all down to ******* smokers. They have no consideration as far as I'm concerned.

Happy birthday dmp.

Soldato
It personally doesn't bother me enough to get really angry but I can see why it would bother others. I dislike the smell of stale smoke on clothes its naff when your coat reeks after a night out.

Soldato
I've smoked for years but I recently cut down to 2/3 a week from 15/20 a day and I was really sensitive to the smell as soon as I did it.

I'd come back from the pub thinking someone had stood next to me all night blowing smoke directly at me it was that powerful a smell.

Soldato
I work in a pub and the first thing I do when I get home is to jump in the shower. Its disgusting, smoking is very selfish and this is further proof.

Man of Honour
I've so far found the smoking ban in Scotland to be nothing but positive, it is great waking up and not smelling of second-hand smoke. It may even help with not feeling so rough in terms of hangovers either as it is one less(or rather a cocktail) chemical that you are ingesting but that is entirely subjective. I can't say I've really noticed any extra smell of sweat/sick/urine in pubs or clubs that was supposedly disguised by smoke either, maybe I've just been lucky or maybe the smoke never even had that minor benefit.

Oh and happy birthday to everyone who has a birthday today as well :)

Soldato
If i've been out and i get back at 3am totally wasted, i'll still throw my clothes in an airy room and have a shower, theres nothing worse than waking up stinking of smoke.

The thing that i get most annoyed with is that i work on the 17th floor of a tower block, and people are always smoking in the emergency exit, stairwell, toilets...anywhere. Apart from leaving a disgusting smell its a safety hazard and just shows to me how selfish some smokers are.

Soldato
The smoking ban in Scotland is actually helping me give up. I went from quite a big habit to max of 10 a week. Doesn't stop DRZ complaining every single time i do it though so it's kind of the last big push to stopping. I remember when i cut down i became really sensitive to the smell of smoke i can smell it off my clothes and hair, its foul :( :( i am trying though.

Permabanned
When I didn't smoke, coming home and all my clothes stinking did annoy me. But other smokers being near me didn't bother me.

Now I smoke more I cannot tell that much. TBH if they are banning it in a couple of years, enjoy it while you can imo. :)

But lets be honest, while having been a non smoker and smoker I can say some people are just over the top about how "horrible" smoke is. It isn't that bad. The way some people go on about it you know they must have nothing better to do. :p

There are many things worse. I mean if someone farts near you it is much worse. Also so are most bodyly functions, hate being on the train and someone coughs or sneezes next to me. Much prefer smoke. :D

As far as the smoking ban goes, I disagree.

We live in a societly of CAPITALISM, if it profitable to run a non smoking club then let it be.

Oh wait it isn't 'cos no one wants it.

Last edited:
Associate
I quit prior to the ban coming in - looking back it is scary to find out how badly you actually smell after having a few smokes!

As the rest of Scottish contingent in this thread have echoed, the ban has been pretty positive up here IMO

Zip

Zip

Soldato
iamgud said:
There are many things worse. I mean if someone farts near you it is much worse. Also so are most bodyly functions, hate being on the train and someone coughs or sneezes next to me. Much prefer smoke. :D

We live in a societly of CAPITALISM, if it profitable to run a non smoking club then let it be.

If someone Farts next to you it isnt likely to cause as many health problems is it ;)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
iamgud said:
But lets be honest, while having been a non smoker and smoker I can say some people are just over the top about how "horrible" smoke is. It isn't that bad. The way some people go on about it you know they must have nothing better to do. :p

You're talking out of your behind. Smoke is absolutely disgusting, if you can't realise that then you must be one of those selfish smokers.

All down to opinion, but at least you don't stink of someones fart the next day (perhaps on rare occasions :p) or be subjected to coughing up mucas the next morning because of certain idiotic individuals. I shouldn't be forced to cough up crap from my lungs when I've chosen not to smoke or subject myself to toxic fumes, yet people like you keep forcing me to inhale it. I have no respect for you.

Let me guess, you're a smoker?

Oh look, you're talking out of your backside again. There is a demand by people who don't smoke to ban smoking. If you haven't realised that already, you must be deaf, blind or just plain ignorant. FYI, if it isn't profitable to run a non-smoking club then why are they popping up around the country already? They're still there which shows there is an appropriate threshold population there to support it. Your argument is nothing more than the usual rhetoric I'd expect from an ignorant smoker.

Soldato
i was like The op a while back, hated smokers etc, then i went out with a smoker, and ive got used to the smell, hardly notice it now, although i was sitting at a table of 5 smokers the other night and i did start to gag because it was smoke overload, needless to say i reeked when i woke up the next day

Soldato
A lot of smokers are the most inconsiderate people I know.

What right do they have to polute the air which gives us non-smokers no other alternative but to breathe it in.

If you ask a smoker to put their cigarette out, you'll normally get a load of abuse about their "rights to smoke". Well, where the hell is mine as a non-smoker!

It's because of some inconsiderate ***** in a pub last night that I'm sat here now with a very sore throat and blocked nose. The sooner the smoking ban arrives the better I say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom