Illuminating CD loading tray?

Associate
Before I start on this little project I wanted to check if such thing has been already invented. Basically what I want is to illuminate the loading tray of the CD drive when it is opened. It would be very usefull for me as my PC is under my desk and the lights are often switched off so I can't see properly where I'm loading the CD and don't want to break this flimsy loading tray in the process.
Has anyone seen or heard of such thing? It will make it easier if I can just copy the design :)
I came up with a simple mechanism to switch on a super bright white LED when the CD drive is opened. I'll show it off when I build it and make it work :)

Soldato
Depends on where your going to mount the LED and the gubbins to trigger it. Not a lot of space around a CDrom.

Having a LDR triggering a bank of LED's at the top of your case would be a better bet probably, easier certainly.

Soldato
good project idea :)

have you thought of fitting a mirco switch that triggers off when touched? lining this up with a peg fitted to the tray shouldn't be too hard.

otherwise as Yewen says, an LDR setup in a good spot would work as well.

keep us updated..

Last edited:

Mul

Mul

Associate
I think the new XPS chassis has something similar, except it's on all the time when the pc is switched on.

Mul

Associate
OP
The LDR idea is quite nice but as you said there is not much space around the CD-Rom drive. I was thinking about using a mechanical switch which will be activated by the Lian LI CD bezel rather than the CD loading tray. There will be no modification to the CD drive itself. The LED with the switch unit will sit on the top of the CD drive, when the bezel is used the drive is pushed further back into the case and there is a gap between it and the case where the LED can be placed. I haven't seen any appriopriate switches which can be used so I think it will be a custom made switch. The LianLi bezel does not have much force in that spring in order for it to push a normal switch on/off.

Longer bank holiday is coming up so it will keep me busy.

Associate
maybe u could use 2 flat leds hiden inside the left and right sides by the rom door, wired to a 4 pin molex. so when the door opens the hole will be liten up :)

im sure there will be enuff space

flatsquareled3x5mm2fc.jpg

here is sort of the mod i was thinking of, but with out the transparent door :)

http://www.moddin.net/article.asp?ArticleID=48

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Here is a prototype of the switch that I will use. Whe the CD tray is closed the Lian Li CD bezel door will push on the metal pin which will bend backwards and will not be making contact with the vertical pin. When the CD door is open the wire will come forward to make contact and current will flow through. This switch will be on the top of the CD drive unit. I've tested the switch and it works fine. Just need to get a resistor for the LED as it will be powered from the PSU at 12V.

dscf3238copy0cw.jpg

Associate
You can get some pretty small micro switches from the well know high street electronics shop, if you get one with a lever on and fit it to the side or top of the CD drive the lever could be shaped to fit behind the drawfront when closed.

Associate
OP
Ok, i've finished my little project today. I've decided to go for 3 green oval shaped LEDs instead of the white ones. They only switch on when the CD loading tray is opened. Here are a few pics. I havent decided yet whether to allow the LEDs to shine through the mesh of the front of the case or cover them up so that only the tray is illuminated.

This is a picture of the LEDs before its attached into position. I've used black Gaffa tape to cover all the wires and stick it to the CD Drive unit.

dscf32395wy.jpg

Here is a picture of it already installed and in use

dscf32422us.jpg

dscf32416cq.jpg

Nix

Nix

Soldato
That looks pretty nice, although those LEDs are going to be permenantly on, shining through your case even when the tray is not ejected, which personally would annoy me. Perhaps you should try and use some pressure switch in the circuit so they only come on when the tray is open.

Associate
OP
No. the LEDs are only on when the CD tray is opened. There is simple custom made switch attached to the lower right hand corner in the first picture.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Day03 said:
No. the LEDs are only on when the CD tray is opened. There is simple custom made switch attached to the lower right hand corner in the first picture.

Ah right, then it looks like you've done alright then ;)

Shame that the LEDs are green though. :o

Associate
OP
I'm thinking of doing a green UV setup inside the case so I went for the green ones. Originally I wanted white ones but the shop I bought them from only had one left of the white LEDs I wanted.

Permabanned
Nix said:
That looks pretty nice, although those LEDs are going to be permenantly on, shining through your case even when the tray is not ejected, which personally would annoy me. Perhaps you should try and use some pressure switch in the circuit so they only come on when the tray is open.

That post had to be joke lol, did you even read any of the thread????

That mod does look sweet as :) White LEDs would be better though as you say.

Back
Top Bottom