• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1800XT Cooling Options

Associate
Hi

After advice from here i replaced my GF 6800 with a X1800XT 256mb
and glad I listend to you all really happy with it but the fan is something
i aint happy about.

What are the best coolers for it heard mixed reports of the new Artic
ones and not sure what others there are.

Any help is great

Graemebo

kbc

kbc

Associate
Zalmans are pretty quiet on the low setting? I'm referring to the VF900. I've got it on my 7900GT and it's pretty quiet on low - higher setting is pretty audible.

Someone else might be able to comment on the AC variants, if you're not interested in the Zalman.

Caporegime
LoadsaMoney said:
Yeah the Accelero's are good as they exhaust the heat out of the back of the case like the stock cooler does. :)

No they don't they exhaust towards the PCI-E slot so aren't ideal, but the still do a good job unless you're in a tight SLI/Crossfire setup.

Associate
Minstadave said:
No they don't they exhaust towards the PCI-E slot so aren't ideal, but the still do a good job unless you're in a tight SLI/Crossfire setup.

Correcty, it seems to blow some hot air on the chipset-fan :(

Caporegime
With the accelero's dumping the air directly onto the mobo i don't think they'd be much good, i dunno what form of crack they were smoking at arctic cooling making this for a BTX system when that formfactor is nowhere near mainstream yet. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, i seem to recall a site getting its hands on an x1800xt a while back but it had no heatsink\fan (think it was hkepc or whatever). They fitted an nvidia 6800 series arctic cooler onto it since the holes lined up and it worked fine (as far as i can remember). Thinking of ordering one of these to give it a try sometime this week.

If i id go the accelero route id probably buy one of these and install next to it to suck the hot air out the back of the case.

cooler.jpg

Associate
I'm also happy with the fan on my Sapphire x1800xt. It easily blends in with the rest of my setup on idle and is only noticable when gaming, but then the 5.1 is turned up so that stops me from hearing it :D

Associate
Anyhoo, i seem to recall a site getting its hands on an x1800xt a while back but it had no heatsink\fan (think it was hkepc or whatever). They fitted an nvidia 6800 series arctic cooler onto it since the holes lined up and it worked fine (as far as i can remember). Thinking of ordering one of these to give it a try sometime this week.

erm well as soon as you do can you post cos im desperatly looking for something to cool my x1900xt. Not keen on the vf-900 as ive seen some bad reports for the x1900xt and dont fancy the acelero

Associate

any news back?

cheers

Back
Top Bottom