UT2004 on the Intel iMac

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Has anyone played Unreal Tournament 2004 Universal on the new intel iMac yet?
I've been playing the demo but even on a 20" Dual 2GHz, 2Gb RAM I have to turn the settings right down and run it in a small window to get any decent game play out of it.

Granted it is running through Rosetta but there is a Universal patch for the whole game. However, I dont want to part with my beans in case it still runs slow...

Associate
Mat said:
Has anyone played Unreal Tournament 2004 Universal on the new intel iMac yet?
I've been playing the demo but even on a 20" Dual 2GHz, 2Gb RAM I have to turn the settings right down and run it in a small window to get any decent game play out of it.

Granted it is running through Rosetta but there is a Universal patch for the whole game. However, I dont want to part with my beans in case it still runs slow...

play in it in windows :)

Soldato
There has been reports of games such as WoW running better using bootcamp in Windows on a mac rather than the universal binary. Speaking of which, what are my chances of running UT2004 on a Macbook's GMA 950 video chip in Windows or other?

Caporegime
sr4470 said:
I was talking about the GMA950?
I've no idea, you tell me. FYI I played UT2004 at 1280x1024 perfectly fine on a GMA950 while I waited for my 7600GT to arrive. As integrated graphics go they are very good.

Soldato
Caged said:
I've no idea, you tell me. FYI I played UT2004 at 1280x1024 perfectly fine on a GMA950 while I waited for my 7600GT to arrive. As integrated graphics go they are very good.

Ok, and what were the quality options set at? I still dont think it holds a candle to the ATI and Nvidia onboard solutions.

Caporegime
sr4470 said:
Ok, and what were the quality options set at? I still dont think it holds a candle to the ATI and Nvidia onboard solutions.

Settings were on medium or something, I'm not a benchmark fanatic so I can't remember. Also I would never want to use an ATi or nVidia chipset ever again.

Caporegime
Because they're garbage. If you get an nVidia you need to buy a seperate network card because nVidia are incapable of making ones that work, and then you get to have the board do stupid things like run the time fast for no reason at all. With ATi you have to deal with their awful chipset drivers.

Soldato
Caged said:
Because they're garbage. If you get an nVidia you need to buy a seperate network card because nVidia are incapable of making ones that work, and then you get to have the board do stupid things like run the time fast for no reason at all. With ATi you have to deal with their awful chipset drivers.

Well, I cant comment on their mobile chipsets as I dont own them. But I certainly dont think Intel makes good graphics chips for gaming.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
OP
Well, its on its way. Part of the reason I made the switch to Apple a while ago was to move away from games but I used to enjoy UT GOTY Edition so much that I had to get a copy of 2004 :p

I'll probably pop a quick post on here to let you know how it works when I get it...

Mat

Mat

Soldato
OP
Just spent the last 20 minutes installing it and all the patches on mates 17" Intel MacBook Pro and it does indeed fly with all the settings maxed out...

Just got to wait until I get home now :p

Back
Top Bottom