Nürburgring insurance

Guv

Guv

Soldato
I'm planning on going to the 'ring sometime this summer. I've heard people say it's a 'public road' so as long as I'm covered to drive abroad that's fine, but is this true?

Is it really just classed as a public road, so specific track insurance is not required?

Obviously I'll be calling my insurance company at some point but I know a few people on here have been so just wondering what they do regarding insurance.

Guv

Guv

Soldato
OP
Just spoken to Norwich Union, they said they wouldn't cover it at all!
I was expecting them not to cover it under the policy I have but thought they may have asked for an extra premium if I wanted the cover.

Are there companies that will just give temporary insurance for this?

Soldato
James_N said:
Not many cover the ring at all. I think a lot of people go and just chance it.

The police at the 'Ring also do spot checks to ensure that the cars using it are covered. Plus insurance documents will need to be produced if you have a crash.

Man of Honour
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk

Read it. Specifically the bit where it says READ YOUR POLICY DOCUMENTS not ring up and say 'Hello can I please bomb it around the Nurburgring, its a really cool race track'.

99% of phone operators wont know what it is, won't know its a public road and will treat it the same way as they would if you said you wanted cover for Silverstone.

Guv

Guv

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk

Read it. Specifically the bit where it says READ YOUR POLICY DOCUMENTS not ring up and say 'Hello can I please bomb it around the Nurburgring, its a really cool race track'.

I have read it and I have read my policy documents. It's very difficult to understand them and get a definite answer though, which is why I phoned.

[TW]Fox said:
99% of phone operators wont know what it is, won't know its a public road and will treat it the same way as they would if you said you wanted cover for Silverstone.

That's true, which is why I did my best to explain it and then she spoke to the underwriters who must have known what it is and gave an answer.

Soldato
Muncher said:
I think they exclude one way toll roads...

Ack, balls - where did you find that? I can only find a very brief description of European cover on the online pdfs.

Edit - the fox showed me it on the elephant pdf :(

Oddly it didn't mention it on my paper document. :mad:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
NickXX said:
Ack, balls - where did you find that? I can only find a very brief description of European cover on the online pdfs.

Page 17 of the 'Your Policy' PDF.

Thats me screwed then - anyone offer temporary 1 day cover?

Dayinsure perhaps...?

Just read through Dayinsure policy documentation and there is no mention of the ring under the exclusions - it merely says you are not covered for use of the car on airfields/airport runways used for landing or taking off aircraft.

Last edited:

Guv

Guv

Soldato
OP
Well I still can't see anything in my documents that says or implies the ring is excluded.

I'll give NUD another call tomorrow and make sure I actually speak to someone that knows about the ring, not just ask the person who answered the phone to speak to them. That way I know they aren't just saying "no" when really they don't know anything about the ring.
I would rather get a definite answer from them than risk the chance of getting it wrong or missing something after reading the policy documents.

IIRC NU underwrite the dayinsure.com cover, so if you can't see anything in the dayinsure documents it's possible NU are the same.

Permabanned
Guv said:
I never game them my name or policy number so that would be hard for them to do

Did you ring from your home number / recorded number?

They are displayed and recorded, and can bring up your details when you call sometimes.

At least they can with some companies.

Guv

Guv

Soldato
OP
Oblivious said:
Did you ring from your home number / recorded number?

They are displayed and recorded, and can bring up your details when you call sometimes.

At least they can with some companies.

I phoned from my home landline but they have my mobile number registered, not landline.

Back
Top Bottom