Need some case tidying help :( (sorta big post)

Associate
Hey, just gettin ready for my next major rebuild and i wanna keep everything as tidy as possible, but i need some tips.

Basically this is what im working with:

- Antec Trueblue 2.0 PSU
- NZXT Guardian Case (Quiet! :p)
- Abit KN8-SLI Board
- 3 Fans (two in the rear, one in the window)
- Cathode and controller
- Everything else that goes in a case

Ok! Anyway, first problem is my case (which i cant afford to upgrade just yet). This thing is built well, but is lacking as far as not having a motherboard tray, limited space and fans in stupid places, as seen here:

case_inside.jpg

Second problem is my new motherboard layout (when it finally arrives :rolleyes: ). As seen here:

mobo_layout.jpg

(Sorry about the big pics)

My main worry is the ATX4P1 plug at the bottom. Im not sure if the cables on my psu will be long enough to go around the board (trying to avoid crisscrossing above the board), or if i will have to run it under the board... cause im pretty sure the molex is slightly bigger than the motherboard stand-offs.

Thirdly is my PSU, its not modular, and none of the molexes are sleeved. I was thinking about using some heatshrink on it, but im not overly keen on de-wiring all the molexes and then re-wiring them again.

On the upside, my harddrive is SATA, and i have rounded IDE cables for my floppy and dvd drives.

So where should i even begin? (and dont say by ditching the case, cause that aint gonna happen yet :p)

Last edited:
Soldato
Will get some time later to post a little bit of advice, have not got tim now as I have to rush out.

=Space Reserved=

Is there any space between the rear panel and the CD drives?

Last edited:

Xez

Xez

Associate
The connecter at the bottom is only if you have SLI that might need some more power through the board. Otherwise you dont need to use it. I cant help you on the case though :p

Man of Honour
" Thirdly is my PSU, its not modular, and none of the molexes are sleeved. I was thinking about using some heatshrink on it, but im not overly keen on de-wiring all the molexes and then re-wiring them again."

De-wiring ?

Removing molexes is a breeze.

Either buy a "molex removal tool" or use a very small screwdriver to do it.

Excellent guide to Molex ( and Floppy Drive connector ) removal with screwdriver here :

http://www.moddin.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3625

Braiding and heatshrink guide here :

http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/braiding

Might take a couple of hours to remove/braid+heatshrink it all , but worth it.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Soldato
Get some black 4mm sprial wrap for the USB/front audio leads as it looks much neater and can also be used for fan cables (50p per metre).

Install the HD's so the power/ide/s-ata faces the front and route the sata/ide under the drive to the connectors and the power cables behind the cd rom drives and then down the the HD.

Don't install the optical drives in the top space, leave that to hide and spare cables.

Associate
Also I'm not to sure heatshrink would be a good idea, I don't know what kind you use but the stuff I use at work would make your cables go fairly rigid once shrunk. Use Sleeving or Braiding. In your pic you have what look like the two front usb cables... will they not go around the back of the drive cages with the other front panel cables?

Mrdbristol I'm disappointed, I was beginning to think every post of yours would make me laugh !! :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
tim_enchanter said:
Mrdbristol I'm disappointed, I was beginning to think every post of yours would make me laugh !! :D

A momentary lapse into sensibility !

This is what I use for cable management

Cheers,

Mark

60% Teacher
30% Alcoholic
20% Mathematician

Last edited:
Soldato
Easiest advice to give you is to do one cable at a time hiding it, and do the power ones last. (Also install the power supply last if you can, case permitting)

When youve got it all in take a picture and post it up; should be able to insult you for the mess and then help you tidy it up. :p

Back
Top Bottom