Blowover

Soldato
What actually is a blowover?

Is it just where the top layer of paint is sanded down and then a fresh layer applied, or do they smooth the surface over filling in any gaps?

Want to get my bonnet resprayed and the passenger side rear quarter panel has a few dings in it.

Cheers. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yeah it's just a quick key on the original paint then a couple of coats of the same colour straight on top. With today's 2-pack paints I can't see it being a problem though, they stick like buggery, hold their shine and fill in all the imperfections

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys.

eidolon, for £300, I'd expect at least a half decent paint job. What should I expect to pay to have my bonnet resprayed, if done professionally?

Thanks.

Soldato
agw_01 said:
What should I expect to pay to have my bonnet resprayed, if done professionally?

Thanks.

Depends if it needs any repair work done first but, If its all prepared and just needs paint about £100 should get it done properly. Remember good quality paint isn't cheap and cheap paint isn't worth having(unless your looking to sell the car quickly).

Soldato
agw_01 said:
Cheers guys.

eidolon, for £300, I'd expect at least a half decent paint job. What should I expect to pay to have my bonnet resprayed, if done professionally?

Thanks.

I'm paying £250 to have a series of scratches repaired on my NS wheel arch!
I was going to have my orange peel style prelude bonnet resprayed last year, I was quoted £450.

Soldato
agw_01 said:
Cheers guys.

Thanks.

£300 is cheap for a respray I'm afraid. As a guide my R5 turbo respray cost me £2k

When you take into account how long it takes to fully strip a car, glass out, bodykit off, bumpers off etc. you realise where that money goes :(

Caporegime
You wont need to strip loads of bits off if your going for the same colour.

I paid £300 for 2 wings, bumper and a bonnet to be painted, they supplied the wings. Was an OK job first time but colour was off, they obviously rush it second time as the finish wasn't great. Also they didnt fit the rubber wing seals so the wing has chipped is starting to rust.

Soldato
OP
Well, my bonnet has a few stone chips (repaired with a touch up pen, so looks messy), but that's about it. There are no dings/major scratches... I'll actually get a buffer on it before I resort to getting it resprayed.

eidolon, wow £2000. Although, I'm guessing that was for a full respray? Is it you or Will Gill who had the purple R5? I'm not looking to get the whole car resprayed (although a bright yellow car is mighty tempting :D) so could just get a cheap bonnet and remove mine.

Si, the rubber seals you mentioned... are they the ones around the lip on the wheel arch? I removed mine the other week to get rid of any moisture/mud and haven't put them back on yet. I'm going to coat the lip in underseal/waxoyl before I put the seals back on.

My step-dad took his old car to a bodyshop about 5 miles from the house. They charged £250 to repair a small dent. The final result was fantastic.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
eidolon said:
£300 is cheap for a respray I'm afraid. As a guide my R5 turbo respray cost me £2k

When you take into account how long it takes to fully strip a car, glass out, bodykit off, bumpers off etc. you realise where that money goes :(

If you strip the car your self and take all the bumpers and body kit off your self then put it back on your self will it make it much cheaper?

Soldato
Zip said:
If you strip the car your self and take all the bumpers and body kit off your self then put it back on your self will it make it much cheaper?
And how do you get the car to the body shop once you have taken all the bits off to be sprayed :p ;)

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Berger said:
Quite, if you have a spare land rover to tow it and need a trailer you can afford an extra few quid to get them to strip the car properly for you....

My sister has a landcruiser and the family business has a car trailer :D

But im not Agw so he might not have those 2 things :(

Soldato
Zip said:

I'd expect so but the prep work is also very time consuming so I dunno quite how much you'd save to be honest.

I dunno if I'd do it again, was a bit of a waste of money really but I'd just received a £2k bonus from work so I thought "why not!"

Man of Honour
Round here we strip cars before taking them down. Cars are usually still drivable without bumpers, lights, glass and trim. Leave the windscreen in though!

Oh er, and avoid police contact.

Caporegime
Lopéz said:
Round here we strip cars before taking them down. Cars are usually still drivable without bumpers, lights, glass and trim. Leave the windscreen in though!

Oh er, and avoid police contact.

Reminds me of when we towed a mates 1.3SR nova 5 miles down a main road with no front or rear bumpers, no windows (except screen), and the engine not loomed up!

When we got it to the garage/bodyshop (was a sunday and we had free roam of the workshop :)), the steering linkage fell apart! :eek: If that had happened on the way, god knows what would have happened.

And andy, Id be expecting to pay around £300 for a decent front end spray.

Back
Top Bottom