• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron code names...

Soldato
I'm a little confused about Opteron code names.
So far i've seen San Diego, Toledo and Denmark Dual core opterons all with 2mb cache and all identical.

I thought Toledo was the X2 2mb cache part, Denmark was a cherry picked Toledo for Dual core 2mb cache Opterons, and i've no idea why people like ocuk are calling them all San Diego's now...

I have an Opteron 175, and its a Toledo core, yet some sites seem to be selling Opteron 175's as Denmark cores now...

Can someone clear this up?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
sr4470 said:
Denmark is intended for the server market. Possibly has some minor tweaks?
So we have Toledo and Denmark Opteron 175's with 2mb cache...?
And Toledo X2's... so whats the difference between an Opteron Toledo and an X2 Toledo?

Soldato
Joe42 said:
So we have Toledo and Denmark Opteron 175's with 2mb cache...?
And Toledo X2's... so whats the difference between an Opteron Toledo and an X2 Toledo?

None, just the market theyre aimed at, and the clockability of the respective CPUs. Presumably the Opterons are better silicon, hence the higher price.

Soldato
OP
sr4470 said:
None, just the market theyre aimed at, and the clockability of the respective CPUs. Presumably the Opterons are better silicon, hence the higher price.
Which Opterons? Denmark or Toledo?
And is a Toledo Opteron better silicon than an X2 Toledo, and is a Denmark Opteron better than both?

Soldato
OP
sr4470 said:
Opteron > X2 in most cases from what I've seen.
I know, i bought one. Its been utterly rubbish, beaten by almost every 3800+ around and gets to 48degrees under load with a scythe ninja.

So i was sold a Toledo Opteron, and should have got a Denmark one?

Soldato
Joe42 said:
I know, i bought one. Its been utterly rubbish, beaten by almost every 3800+ around and gets to 48degrees under load with a scythe ninja.

So i was sold a Toledo Opteron, and should have got a Denmark one?

Well, it depends on when it was made, and the revisions as well. E6 chips tend to do much better than E4. I've got an E4 Manchester 3800+ at 2.5 with a small voltage boost.

Soldato
OP
Mines an E6. Made December 05. I think its CCBWE.
Its a 175, so 2mb cache. Its Toledo.
It does 2.4 @ 1.45v up from stock 2.2 @ 3.5v.

The site i bought it from lists this cpu as having a Denmark core, and also lists the 170 as a denmark.

So, i reckon that Denmark and Manchester are the 1mb cache versions of Opteron and X2, and Toledo is the 2mb cache version of both the Opteron and the X2... is that correct?

And the information on that site is incorrect.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok... now i'm really confused... info taken from the TR Decoder Ring:

AMD Opteron 165 1800 9 2 1.4 1024 Denmark
AMD Opteron 170 2000 10 2 1.4 1024 Denmark
AMD Opteron 175 2200 11 2 1.4 1024 Denmark

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2200 11 2 1.4 1024 Toledo

So all the opterons should be Denmark... mines Toledo. It should be 1.4v? Mines 1.35.
Is CPUz reporting it incorrectly, should it be Denmark?

Soldato
Most dualcores operate at 1.35v, but this can vary with a specific example of a cpu.

Yours was made in 05, I wouldnt worry about naming conventions..its still an Opteron.

Soldato
OP
sr4470 said:
Most dualcores operate at 1.35v, but this can vary with a specific example of a cpu.

Yours was made in 05, I wouldnt worry about naming conventions..its still an Opteron.
I think CPUz is wrong.

X2's are Toledo, and Opterons are Denmark. Therefore Denmarks are cherry picked Toledos branded as Opterons for the Server/Workstation market, and therefore clock better than Toledos.
CPU'z recognises Denmark as Toledo because they are effectively the same core, just better binned...

Am i correct?

Soldato
OP
sr4470 said:
If you have an updated version of cpu-z, it wont read the core wrong.
I'm pretty sure its the latest version.

Just read through some of the 165 and 170 overclocking threads, all screenshots of cpuz show it displayed as Toledo, and they both should be Denmark like mine.

I'm certain its CPUz. Toledo and Denmark cores are identical, so it displays them all as Toledo, although Denmark cores are slightly better binned.

Soldato
OP
sr4470 said:
If they were totally identical AMD wouldnt bother changing the cpu-id string.
They are almost identical, but Denmarks clock better because they are cherry picked Toledos, i believe.

Just checked, i do have the latest cpuz.

Any dual core Opteron owners out there, i want to know if cpuz or any other program says Denmark.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, there is no such thing as a Toledo Opteron. Its Denmark. So cpuz is almost certainly incorrect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom