My turn for an Ebay question !

Soldato
Hello !!

I have someone bidding on an item I am selling and they have 0 feedback.
Now I realise that everybody has to start on 0, but it just got me wondering what scams might be comming my way.

Eg.. once I absoloutley get the cash in my Paypal account can they wangle it so it gets removed again ?

Soldato
fatiain said:
If there's a dispute and they rule against you, off goes the cash.

Well fair enough, but I dont think that would apply normally would it?

Its not like they could pay you then whip the money away without you noticing, which is what the OP was worried about.

Soldato
OP
So nothing can happen without some kind of dispute procedure first ?

I'll not just wake up one day and find an e-mail from Paypal saying "We gave the buyer the cash back for such and such a reason"
:)

Associate
i believe the seller can say something around that they didnt recieve any goods, then paypal could take the money back out the account, but i believe if you have withdrawn the money to your bank, and its actually in there, paypal can't touch it.

amx

amx

Associate
The seller can only recall the payment through their account if you don't 'claim' the funds once they hit your paypal account. However, Paypal has an autoclaim feature and I think it's turned on by default (maybe worth checking).

Otherwise, the only way of them getting the money back is through a dispute.

Soldato
Well, depends what your selling really. If your selling a mobile phone or a laptop and someone with Zero feedback is bidding then just cancel their bid because its 99.9% chance its a nigerian scammer. They will pay money into your account from a stolen credit card or using someone elses paypal account and the money will be snatched back from you.
However, If it something low value like an old car jack or something then it should be ok. Don't be fooled by the location they give, people lie. You could however ask them for a phone number and call them for a quick chat, a scammer wouldn't respond to a request like that normally.

Don
Frost said:
but i believe if you have withdrawn the money to your bank, and its actually in there, paypal can't touch it.

not true unfortunately they will persue you through debt collection comapnies and court for the money

re the opening post I wouldn't worry too much unless it is a high value item , I have sold to many 0 feedback buyers without any real problems

Permabanned
Once you sell something, the seller can do a chargeback (basically a refund). So whatever you do, send the item by some trackable method - ie: Recorded or Special Delivery.

I believe when a chargeback is done, the money is taken out of your Paypal account and put into the buyer's account. If you have withdrawn the cash, your account will have a negative sum (ie: £-14.99). The second you get any more cash into that account, it goes to neutralising your account's balance.

In short: Send via a trackabale method, and all should be well.

Soldato
And you can initiate chargebacks up to 3 months after the purchase date, someone had the heart to claim they never recieved an item TWO months THREE weeks and THREE days after I posted it (and subsiquently lost the proof of postage form)

i now ALWAYS send something where theres proof of signature and keep it on file.

Soldato
Moonpie2 said:
So nothing can happen without some kind of dispute procedure first ?

I'll not just wake up one day and find an e-mail from Paypal saying "We gave the buyer the cash back for such and such a reason"
:)

Yeah, you can. but you'll have 14 days to prove yourself else it doesn't come back

Back
Top Bottom