Buying half a house

Soldato
Not sure if anyone can help, but it would be appreciated :).

My brother and I own a house, we have an equal 50% share each. I now want to buy the other half from him but we'd like to know if he would have to pay tax on the money he gets for his 50%? The house is worth £340k, so I plan to get a mortgage for £170k and give that all to him. There would be no estate agents fees etc... but would he have to pay any tax on selling his 50% share, or would he get to full £170k??

Associate
I'd imagine that if he's selling his primary residence and moving to a new property then he's fine.

If you own the house but don't live in it, you'll need to find a loophole as that is a capital gain.

I'm not an expert though, just what little reading I've done on t'internet.

Don
Buttons said:
I'd imagine that if he's selling his primary residence and moving to a new property then he's fine.

If you own the house but don't live in it, you'll need to find a loophole as that is a capital gain.

correct , primary residence attracts no tax , other attracts capital gains ( allowances apply )

Associate
Depends on what the property is used for.

If the property is your brothers "PPR" - Personal Place of Residence, ie its where he lives, it is exempt from Capital Gains tax. Whether or not he'd have to pay income tax I don't know.
However, if there is someone else other than your brother living there and paying rent to you/your brother then even if your brother lives in the property, it is subject to tax because it's classed as a business (because it's rented out.)

If he lives somewhere else then the receipt on the sale is subject to Capital Gains tax, because it's not his PPR.

But the best advice has already been given - speak to a professional financial advisor.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.
I was going to contact my solicitor to ask them but posted here just as a quick check to see what anyone else may know.
We inherited the property and he doesn't live there so I guess he'll have to pay capital gains tax, unless we can get around it somehow.

Soldato
molinari said:
Thanks for the replies.
I was going to contact my solicitor to ask them but posted here just as a quick check to see what anyone else may know.
We inherited the property and he doesn't live there so I guess he'll have to pay capital gains tax, unless we can get around it somehow.
Maybe he should move back in for a week?

Soldato
molinari said:

My brother and I own a house, we have an equal 50% share each. I now want to buy the other half from him but we'd like to know if he would have to pay tax on the money he gets for his 50%? The house is worth £340k, so I plan to get a mortgage for £170k and give that all to him. There would be no estate agents fees etc... but would he have to pay any tax on selling his 50% share, or would he get to full £170k??

If i remember correctly (as i am in the same situation with my parents) you can pay him upto a certain amount a year before the tax sticks his dirty mits in.

Don
leaskovski said:
If i remember correctly (as i am in the same situation with my parents) you can pay him upto a certain amount a year before the tax sticks his dirty mits in.

something around 7 grand I think

Wise Guy
Permabanned
molinari said:

Firstly, yes, there is a tax liability if you buy him out.

However, if the house has been his home for the duration of his ownership, he'll PROBABLY have no liability. But be clear on this .... there are exceptions that. For instance, if the house and grounds are above a certain size (1.25 acres roughly). But most sales of private residences don't give rise to a chargeable gain. Another exception could be if part of the house was used for non-residential purposes, such as an office, studio, etc.

But, assume a liability does arise. The next point is that it is NOT onthe sale proceeds, or the value of his half of the house, but the gain in value during his ownership.

If the house is worth £340k, then his half is £170. But if the house was bought (or inherited with a market value of ) £300k, then the gain is only the difference between the value at acquisition and the current value, i.e. £40k. And he's liable for half that.

Then, you have a (2006-2007) allowance of £8800 before any tax is payable. So if he made £20k, he'd get that £8800 allowance, and find £11,200 chargeable.

But .... there are all sorts of costs you can also offset against gain, before assessing the gain for CGT, such as many professional fees, etc.

And, if you've made capital expenditures (new kitchin, built extension, etc), you may well be able to add those costs to your cost of the asset, thereby reducing the chargeable gain.

It really is worth getting professional advice about this, because CGT is quite complex, and there are all sorts of allowances you may be able to claim, dependning (for instance) on how long you've jointly owned the property, and all sorts of expenses that can be offset. But much of that depends on whether those expenses could have been offset against income tax, because you'll generally get either capital benefit or income benefit, but not both.

The odds are he'll pay little tax, or more likely, no tax at all. But if he does, it'll be on the GAIN, not the value of the house.

Oh, and don't think of doing some private deal on the value either. As your brother is a "connected person", he can't "sell" his share to you for £1, or something daft. If he does, it'll be the market value of the house that his CGT liability will be based on, not the disposal value. They have, I'm afraid, seen that one coming.

Back
Top Bottom