Arsenal doing dodgy deals?

Associate
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/5037494.stm

Hmm, if true would be very bad news for Arsenal, lucky Henry has already signed his contract if they end up getting thrown out of Champions League. Although I don't think that should happen without similar punishments to the likes of Juve etc in the Italian league with their current corruption scandals.

But I would like to add: I blame David Dein :p

Soldato
It's hardly the worst thing a club could do, Beveren were about to go out of business and if anything arsenal saved them from administration.

I'd hardly call it dodgy when we paid them £1.5 million for an unknown right back called Eboue, if we were in control of the club then it would have been for much less.

Personally i think they should be stopping clubs like Chelsea tapping up players and then lying about it to the FA in the Ashley Cole saga.

Additionally nothing ever happened to Abramovich when it was pointed out his company own Spartak Moscow, if anyone seriously thinks that the £6 million deal to buy Jiri Jarosik off them wasn't dodgy they need their heads looking at.

Associate
chimaera said:
It's hardly the worst thing a club could do, Beveren were about to go out of business and if anything arsenal saved them from administration.

I'd hardly call it dodgy when we paid them £1.5 million for an unknown right back called Eboue, if we were in control of the club then it would have been for much less.

Personally i think they should be stopping clubs like Chelsea tapping up players and then lying about it to the FA in the Ashley Cole saga.

Additionally nothing ever happened to Abramovich when it was pointed out his company own Spartak Moscow, if anyone seriously thinks that the £6 million deal to buy Jiri Jarosik off them wasn't dodgy they need their heads looking at.

I actually for got about the jiri jarosik part

Man of Honour
chimaera said:
Does his company actually own them or did they just sponsor them?:)

Soldato
JohnnyG said:
Does his company actually own them or did they just sponsor them?:)

Yeah you're right it was just sponsorship, but still a possible conflict of interest. Personally i think that it was a non event, just as this case with arsenal, if arsenal had put money into sunderland or something then i'd be concerned.

Just smacks to me of a slow news day, and uefa typically going for pointless high profile cases while they ignore the long term problems in the game.

Soldato
I've added some of my comments in the Sheva thread. I think the only issue is "Did Arsenal have a controlling interest in Beveren?" There isn't any evidence in this, and after all why would the club need it, it's not like we will ever face them in competetion. They have also just be relegated, fface match fixing probes, perhaps they are trying to take Arsenal down too, or push the blame?

An Arsenal spokesman said: "Arsenal confirms that it has never owned, directly or indirectly, any shares in Beveren or had any power whatsoever to influence its management or administration.

"It did in 2001 provide funds of €1,570,703 by way of loan to a member of the consortium to assist in stabilising the finances of Beveren."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/5039016.stm

Sounds like BS to me, and as the Police might say "Move along, there's nothing too see"

Soldato
I thinks as has been said before all Football clubs have skeletons in their closet. Although some punitive fine just to wipe the smug grin off Dein's face would be nice

Permabanned
Gooner14 said:
Sounds like BS to me, and as the Police might say "Move along, there's nothing too see"

Actually it was the police who said 'Oi,where did that £1m come from ? '
They were checking the clubs finances for poss money laundering ,the club showed them the documents proving it came from Arsenal which is how the story came out.Well,that is the story they were peddling on the radio tonight.

Soldato
Because they didn't. They loaned money to someone wanting to takeover the club, they didn't put the money directly into the club. I know that sounds like semantics, but that's basically showing that they weren't buying shares in the club or anything similar, and weren't trying to get control of it in any way.

Soldato
Goatboy said:
Apart from this bit:

Why lie about it?

"At no time has anyone at Arsenal been contacted by any regulatory or investigatory body with respect to its relationship with Beveren. Arsenal and all its staff have acted properly throughout, in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations, and in the best interests of Beveren, Arsenal and the broader footballing community."

So how did they repeatedly deny it?

Back
Top Bottom