Do Nildram offer free usenet groups?

Soldato
Im just discovering newsgroups and Im with nildram. On another forum it shows how to setup newsgroups and said to see if your provider gave any free usenet access. Does anyone know?

Edit:

Im trying to install something called newsleech and i have to input a server address but i dont know any.

Last edited:
Associate
yes they do, the server is news.nildram.co.uk port 119

you can get 2 connections to the server and each is limited to 30k and a total cap of 20gb a month.

they are actually provided by giganews so you get ~70 days retension. i use them in conjunction with my unlimited newshosting account.

Soldato
OP
Excellent thanks mate. Im totally new to this, does this 20 gig count towards your monthly 50 gig download limit?

when you say 30k do u mean you cant download faster than 30k a sec? and whats a 70 day retension?

Lol sorry i know nothing.

Associate
you have a 50gb peak cap which counts for everything including newsgroups.
you also have a 20gb newsgroups cap.

you connect to the server twice, each connection is limited to a maximum speed of 30k. so in total you can download at a speed of 60k.

Quick crash course....

the retension is the time (in days) in which the files are stored on the servers before they are deleted. however due to they way that newsgroups works this is more of an approximate value.

saw in your edit that you are trying out newsleecher. this is what i use. im not sure if the trial allowes you to use their "super search" function or not, but that is quite usefull some times.

another thing to note is that sometimes the files are missing parts. this is where you need the .par2 files. using these files and Quickpar you can repair any damaged files.

Last edited:
Associate
Eddietop said:
From experience ISP's newshosting sucks, they only offer 1/2 days rentition and have loads of incompletes. You should try some proper hosting from someone like giganews :)

nildrams are outsourced to giganews. if you ping news.nildram.co.uk it actually points to europe.isp.giganews.com

Associate
i have removed the reference to the nzb site - didnt think it counted at warez, technically being legal, although i admit it is boarderline. (i assume that is what you were talking about, as there have been plenty of newsgroups threads about)

Back
Top Bottom