• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What is AMD going to do...

Associate
And the FX62 is just an updated version of the current S939 CPUs, of course a brand new cpu from intel is going to beat it....not exactly hard is it? Just wait for the next batch of AM2 stuff (whenever it is, later this year or whatever) then we'll see something a bit closer.

Soldato
i totally agree a bit of competition never hurt anyone, and from our point of view it will help us more than anything, because one of the main ways they can compete with each other is the pricing

Associate
nicRob said:
And the FX62 is just an updated version of the current S939 CPUs, of course a brand new cpu from intel is going to beat it....not exactly hard is it? Just wait for the next batch of AM2 stuff (whenever it is, later this year or whatever) then we'll see something a bit closer.

According to my cousin who works in the US for Asus, its not likely to be for well over a year...AMD were relying on AM2 to carry over. Work is being done to change the memory controller I think he said on the AM2 platform...nothing more. That was their change for this year an likely to be until Q2 2007....

Soldato
Amp34 said:
Erm arent they already doing it already with s940 cpu's? Whats the difference?
two sockets each with dual core s939 cpu's using unregistered dimms

rather than s940 using registered dimms on expensive mobo's and different psu's

Caporegime
FrankJH said:
two sockets each with dual core s939 cpu's using unregistered dimms

rather than s940 using registered dimms on expensive mobo's and different psu's

So they are doing a cut price, mainstream (for the public) version. To be honest its not exactly the breakthrough AMD need to combat conroe.

Permabanned
Guess its just a stop gap solution that they think they need to do. Though to be honest they have a big slice of the market share so i wouldn't be to concerned with the short term implications of conroe

Man of Honour
A new type of motherboard needed just weeks after the last motherboard change, plus the cost of two dual-core CPUs and at least 4 sticks of memory (dual channels for each CPU)...all to compete with a Core 2-based system that will be hundreds of pounds cheaper. It might be far more powerful on paper, but in practice very little will effectively use 4 cores. It's marchitecture.

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

Iv'e always been an AMD fan since the release of the socket 754 because socket A's really were bad. I was an Intel fan but when socket 754 came out I went to AMD then moved to socket 939 setups. When Intel release this new Conroe chip I have a feeling I might be moving back to Intel. Still not sure. Going to wait patiently... :p

Back
Top Bottom