New Sky Box

Associate
If you have had to replace your Sky box for a new one got it all hooked up and that but you have the old Sky menu how do you get the update to the new Sky menu. Will it just happen automatically or do you have to phone Sky?

Thanks.

Soldato
• Forced Software Download.

Sky Digiboxes normally update their software automatically overnight, but occasionally you may need to do a Forced Software Download. This may be required if your Digibox hasn’t been used for a while, and it's missed an update, or if the software gets scrambled for any reason.

The first thing to do is to note your operating system software details (SERVICES, 4, 5)

Below is the recommended procedure for a Forced Software Download: (read all the instructions first before starting)
(1) Put box into Standby.

(2) Remove the viewing card and put it back in the same slot UPSIDE DOWN (remember which way up/round it was!).

(3) Press and hold the Back-up button on the Digibox, not the remote control.

(4) Whilst holding the Back-up Button, switch off the power to the box at the mains - either with the switch on the socket or by removing the plug.

(5) Count to ten slowly.

(6) Keep pressing that Back-up button and put the power back on to the box;

(7) When all four lights appear on the Digibox, release the Back-up button If your Digibox is connected by SCART, there will be a message on the screen stating an update is taking place and that it can take 10 minutes. However, it can take longer.

(8) When the box goes back to a single red light, leave it at least a full minute before taking it out of Standby using the Sky button on your remote control.

(9) Remove the upside down viewing card and replace it the right way up.

(10) The box will switch to channel 998 - the Sky demo channel (it may say Searching for Listings - if so just wait until it finishes).

(11) When that clears, do a Services, 4, 5 to check to see the Operating System Version and/or EPG Software Version numbers have updated (the Model Number may also have changed)

Step 4 is neccessary because if you power off first and then press "Back-up", it does not clear all the old software so follow the above exactly for the most reliable results.

A word of warning - if things go wrong with a Forced Softtware Download, you could potentially ruin your digibox. I take no responsibility for any damage you might cause to your receiver.... DO NOT TRY A FSD IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GOOD SATELLITE SIGNAL.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
There is no need to do that at all, whether the card is in or out it makes no odds. Where the hell they have thought up putting the card in upside down i'll never know :p

Soldato
Jez said:
There is no need to do that at all, whether the card is in or out it makes no odds. Where the hell they have thought up putting the card in upside down i'll never know :p

Remember this is Sky we are talking about - logic is totally removed from their thinking :D

Soldato
I'm thinking its because several calls went like this

'ok now remove the viewing card'

<several minutes later>

'put the card back in'

'oh, I thought you told me to throw it away?'

fini

Soldato
more than likely so that they can tell them to take the card out and turn it back over again,

try asking someone to put a card with chip back in the correct way, when it could have gone in either way depending on the box ;)

so they take it out and turn it over, then when they take it out and turn it over again it has to be the correct way,

or is it?? :confused:

lol

Back
Top Bottom