Who has AMD Cool n Quiet activated?

Soldato
Howdy,

Thought this post would fit in General Hardware ok... if it belongs in another forum by all means move it :)

Just want to know who has AMD Cool n Quiet activated on their system? I use to have it activated, then turned it off, but have put it back on now... but just wondering if anyone notices any differences with it?

Also I have just installed the Arctic Freezer 64 Pro to my 939... will it actually function with this? Or is it pointless having it on?

Just Im sure the new arctic sounds louder than my stock AMD cooler? But its prob just cos im listening for it I suppose.

ta

Steve M

Soldato
I've got it on and it makes a big difference for me (on Winny 3000). I have my fans setup so when Cool and Quiet kicks in the processor fan all, but stops and the back case fans goes down to about half speed.

fini

Soldato
Nope, I have the Asus equivilent for fans with my pentium D computer though, Keeps the freezer 7 pro fan at 1500rpm idle and 2200rpm 100% load (2800 max speed) so its much quieter.

Edit: The nope was referring to my AMD

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok can someone tell me how I can make my arctic 64 pro a bit more quieter? I am now sure its louder than my stock? Any tools that you advise to do this? If so where can I get them? And what speed would you suggest running the fan at?

Any help will be appreciated!

ta

Suspended
keogh said:
Howdy,

Thought this post would fit in General Hardware ok... if it belongs in another forum by all means move it :)

Just want to know who has AMD Cool n Quiet activated on their system? I use to have it activated, then turned it off, but have put it back on now... but just wondering if anyone notices any differences with it?
ta

Steve M

I use CAQ for the HTPC 3700+, don't need it to be 2.2ghz all the time just for playing music. If CPU needs to go faster it'll change automatically (ie playing video files) CPU is cooler also so can away with a stock HSF and really slow rpm (currently at 1600rpm)

Soldato
no point if your overclocking as it causes instability, why be default means most of us wont have it on.

however, there's a better way. Crystal CPUID for example allows control over multipliers and voltages on an a64, with the ability to set min medium and max points and it works very well too, though it sometimes missreads the cpu usage on mine causing it to clock up sometimes

Last edited:
Caporegime
keogh said:
Ok can someone tell me how I can make my arctic 64 pro a bit more quieter? I am now sure its louder than my stock? Any tools that you advise to do this? If so where can I get them? And what speed would you suggest running the fan at?

Any help will be appreciated!

ta

Just change the temperature sensor values in the BIOS, just up the full speed one from its default, for example if its set to run the fan full speed when it gets to 30, just up it to 50 or summit, and it will never run full speed.

I use the Asus equivalent to on my board, my Freezer pro only runs at about 1600rpms, and is set to run full speed when the temp hits 50, but it never gets that high so never does. :)

Soldato
OP
Ahh nice one LoadsaMoney thats done the trick.

I went into the bios originally and i wasnt able to change this, but i activated some function in the bios (q tip fan or sumin... cant remember) and deactivated the cpu fan warning and change the temp to 51 (which was the lowest) and it seems to be much quieter now.

There are some other options int eh bios aswell... about voltage (i.e. 5v, 12v etc)... what do these values do? can I control the voltage to my fan with that?

Associate
From what it looks like you're reading, no. They're merely information on what voltage your PSU is putting out, and are not editable

If the number are summat like 3.3v 5v 12v -5v -12v 5vsb vbatt

then they are just information, nothing more

Soldato
How do you enable Cool 'n' Quiet? My Motherboard and CPU both support it but I don't notice it kicking in at all. On my old PC the processor dropped to 900Mhz and the CPU fan would nearly shut off, it did this all on it's own without me setting anything up.

Associate
Pretty sure you have to set windows power managment to 'minimal' in the control panel for Cool n' Quiet to be enabled.
Aside from if you're an overclocker or cruncher, I can't see any reason not to use it - save on your electricity bill & do the environment some good (or at least less bad).

Back
Top Bottom