AOL in uk exit.

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

ooooooooo interesting :) good I really don't like AOL anyway to be honest.

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

LoadsaMoney said:
Im in the middle of migrating to em. :p

ouch, not good if that is true that they wanna UK buyer,

/checks inside pocket to see if he has any money to buy AOL... nope not enough LOL :D

Soldato
The report says they "dominated UK internet access in the late 1990s", that must have passed me by ;)

I thought the likes of Demon, PIPEX and Freeserve did that!

HEADRAT

Soldato
Not surprised, they were one of the few left offering unlimited packages, but they were very expensive and they had stupid ideas, like blocking off router use for lower packages, albeit easy to bypass.

Caporegime
OP
Once im migrated ive got a 7 day cooling off period still, its like i can try em for 7 days, and if i want to cancel i can, so presumably they would give me another MAC code if after a few days i wanted to cancel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I for one can honestly say that if AOL were no more, then I would be a happier man.

Lets hope bloody Norton goes the same way, then we can have faster internet and faster systems, cos they wont be bogged down by this crud.

Soldato
FatRakoon said:
Well, I for one can honestly say that if AOL were no more, then I would be a happier man.

Lets hope bloody Norton goes the same way, then we can have faster internet and faster systems, cos they wont be bogged down by this crud.

Truth right there :D

Well... I think so anyway.

Associate
They conquered, dominated but never evolved.. sums them up really. (for a long time they had the largest customer base of any "home" based isp)

Even with thier recent investment in unbundling exchanges, they are not competitive.

As i said before the CSR i spoke to said they were closing the irish call centre and also were receiving migration requests at a higher rate than sales.. they are struggling to hold on and the ages it's taking to move customers to 8mb just fueling the fire.

The investiment in non european call centres must have not paid off, shame. :D

i'm sure someone will step in for Time Warner and buy them. My bets it's one of the big 4 mobile companies. If deals ain't already been done!

Last edited:
Soldato
HEADRAT said:
The report says they "dominated UK internet access in the late 1990s", that must have passed me by ;)
They certainly dominated the distribution of free CDs...

I hear Vodafone are looking for an ISP to either buy or partner with and rebrand, enabling them to offer a converged mobile and broadband package.

Associate
MajorPart said:
As i said before the CSR i spoke to said they were closing the irish call centre
If they want to close down any call centre it should be the Indian one not the Irish one as when I did manage to get through to them the one time, they were generally helpful and actually managed to resolve my problem unlike the Indian call centre which generally didn't have a clue :rolleyes:

They were always polite though.

MajorPart said:
and also were receiving migration requests at a higher rate than sales.. they are struggling to hold on and the ages it's taking to move customers to 8mb just fueling the fire.
The slow rollout of Max DSL was the main reason why I migrated as I would have had to wait around 4 months!

Soldato
I think that AOL as a way to access the internet as a whole isnt really all that bad. In fact, I think its quite good to be honest.

My issue with AOL is the massive ammount of utter junk that they throw at it all.

If they would allow the user to not have that crud, and just have the connection, and allow the user to use their own choice of browser and EMailer, and lets face it, pretty much everythign on the planet is vastly better than the AOL junk, then it would not be all that bad.

PCs these days need at least 512MB just to open up notepad, and when you see some shops selling only 256MB Celerons, which are already crippled with sod all RAM and naff CPUs and then AOL on top of that is only asking for trouble, and those who then also use Norton???? - Well, pull the trigger yourselves why dont you?

Its like buying a 50cc moped and dragging your family along in a sidecar just for the ride! - get them out or get a car FFS!

Sorry.

Soldato
HEADRAT said:

I thought the likes of Demon, PIPEX and Freeserve did that!
With offerings such as instant messaging, chat rooms and unique content they were certainly a big player in the market. Then there was the unlimited dial-up which, if I remember correctly, was a pioneering business move.

I'm not at all surprised by this news though. The AOL brand has never been good news for Time Warner — what with the dot-com bubble, record losses and overall controversy — and subscriber numbers have been falling dramatically in recent years. Unless I'm mistaken, AOL haven't offered internet access in the United States for quite some time now, and it looks like they're trying to make this shift over here now; becoming more of a media giant than a service providor.

av. :)

Edit: Correction, it seems AOL do still offer internet access in the states. They are, however, still touting their "Bring your own access" service and thus, in my opinion, slowly shifting from an ISP to a media company ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Al Vallario said:
AOL haven't offered internet access in the United States for quite some time now
I didn't know that :eek:

As they use the brand name AOL (America Online) it seems a bit silly if they don't provide internet access over there!

Back
Top Bottom