new board help

Associate
i will be taking delivery of my new motherboard soon, an asus p4v800-dx s478
and i was wondering if i would have to buy a new copy of windows too.
all i have is a recovery disk supplied with my pc (fujitsu-siemens) but i dont know if this will just work with my current m/b and not others.
does anyone have any ideas? :confused:
also any opinions on my new m/b would be appreciated. i bought it to overclock my p4 3.2 prescott
thanks

Soldato
all i have is a recovery disk supplied with my pc (fujitsu-siemens)

Most recovery discs are just that and will not do a windows install as such.

Not being rude, but that is just a budget motherboard so you cant expect much.

Seeing as that socket mobo is being faded out, I guess the choice isn't huge these days.

Fujitsu Siemens usually ship their computers with one or more hard drive data recovery CDs (also known as hard drive recovery CDs, hard drive restore CDs or hard drive data restore CDs). The Fujitsu Siemens hard drive data recovery CDs are specifically designed for your Fujitsu Siemens computer, usually contain an image of what was on the computers hard drive when it was first bought, & they allow you to return the machine to its original state (as new). This is particularly useful if the machine has been attacked by a virus, if the original hard drive has developed a fault, or if you simply wish to replace or upgrade the hard drive, & need to re-install your original software.

The Fujitsu Siemens Windows recovery CDs are also sometimes referred to as Windows installation CDs because they completely erase the contents of your hard drive & then re-install your operating system (Windows). However, they differ from normal Windows installation disks in that they usually restore all programs which were originally installed on the hard drive when the computer was first purchased (any additional programs or files which were not originally installed will be overwritten).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ah thanks for the reply i better get a copy of windows ordered then.
i found there was very little choice of s478 boards :( the one i chose has more features than my current one like dual channel and raid and better overclocking choices.when i get enough cash i will be upgrading my whole pc

axe

axe

Suspended
i wouldnt of thought there would be a problem as the recovery will just be on the HDD and nothing to do with the mobo

Soldato
axe said:
i wouldnt of thought there would be a problem as the recovery will just be on the HDD and nothing to do with the mobo

It depends what he is going to do (recover or re-install) but some makers tie their CDs into the system.
See here for example.
Someone I know wanted their Dell PC upgraded with a motherboard having an AGP slot. Obviously with the new motherboard the Dell XP Home CD said it wasn't now a Dell PC so wouldn't install.

HP / Packard Bell do that as well, but it looks like from monkeypants post that Fujitsu Siemens don't.

Associate
OP
byteagig said:
you mean just plug the hd into the motherboard as it is and install the new drivers?

ok that didnt work i had to do a full reinstall nvm.
and monkeypants was right the f-s recovery disk is a full installation disk!!

Back
Top Bottom