• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

hitman+Hot weather=Dead 7800-512GTX !

Soldato
Was playing Hitman blood money this afternoon, and well my screen goes blank and I then I smell a nice burning smell.....

Thats the time you can only look at the floor and cry?

tried the Pc 20 minutes after hoping.... and hoping but no display so chucked in a 1meg PCI S3 Trio and now im currently on an amazing 4 bit colour with
640x480 !

I dont even know how I got the 4bit lol

Im gonna assume it was due to the fact my POV 7800-512meg GTX was boiling hot from 2 hours of hitman.... guess the shutdown temp feature didnt kick in, that super silent 80mm fan I always suspected was too silent! but it Proberly didnt help that I had bit of dust in the fans also. Gonna increase my 120mm fans to faster speeds (there still silent) and use more Air cans in future to get rid of dust/dirt.

Heres hoping Point Of View can get my Card sorted soon, lucky they got 3 year warranty on it :(

Anyone know how good Point of Views RMA/Support service is ?

Permabanned
Johanson said:
Damn... i hope my 7900GT stands up to the heat! Im just glad ive got a VF900, if that thing stops working i'll know straight away :p

I hope by "know" you dont mean that it's so loud you could hear it stop :p As I just ordered one to SAVE my ears, not make them worse :p

Permabanned
deadcomputers-3.jpg

Soldato
senorstealth said:
I hope by "know" you dont mean that it's so loud you could hear it stop :p As I just ordered one to SAVE my ears, not make them worse :p

Well it is quiet even on the highest setting (which mine is on all the time), but all the other fans in my PC are almost completely silent. So if it suddenly stopped id be thinking "hmm nice silence.... oh ****!!" :p

BloodWolf said:
Speaking of heat.. is 47Degreese normal for when your just surfing net? Everythings stock.

Yes sounds normal, my 7800GT used to be around 40 degrees stock during winter, and i know that X1900's produce more heat than most cards.

Soldato
That sucks man!

How do these fail-safe devices always fail?
As it happens, I've got a hole in the wall behind my PC atm, so freezing cold fesh night air is pumped straight into my PC case. It's absolutely freezing, helped by the outrageous number of fans I have.

ob1

ob1

Associate
Thats dedication, restructuring a house to cool a pc :cool:

I always thought a bit of ducting from a window is a good idea but my pc is nowhere near a window.

Was this dead 7800 still at stock, surprised it killed itself. Cant these chips throttle?

Soldato
OP
ob1 said:
Thats dedication, restructuring a house to cool a pc :cool:

I always thought a bit of ducting from a window is a good idea but my pc is nowhere near a window.

Was this dead 7800 still at stock, surprised it killed itself. Cant these chips throttle?

Well it was at stock but I belive the manufacturer upped it a bit....
I too thought it downclocked but tbh thinking back to earlier I would have noticied if my GTX fan was spinning faster to compensate for the heat.....
but it was still running silent, so its possible it just died of its own.

Will find out when I call there tech support/think ill phone from work since its 70p per minute !

Back
Top Bottom