it looks like somoe Teams are planning a work stoppage

Associate
OP
latest News

I have just recieved an email from Crunch3r, and he is suggesting that we wait for a while with any protest strike. He is in direct negotiations with Rom Walton and Dr. Anderson. We need to wait at least until the middle of next week before organizing a mass protest, so that the negotiations between them can take place. Crunch3r said that the whole of Planet3DNow team will also support the strike, IF it is necessary. So, for now, we need to just hold on until Crunch3r gives the word.

Regards, Daniel.

http://www.setiusa.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2152

regards
Sir Ulli

Soldato
[font=Arial,]um den Machern von Seti@home zu zeigen das wir eine zusammenhängende Community sind und wir nicht alles mit uns machen lassen

[/font][font=Arial,] [/font]("In order to show the creators of Seti@home that we're a community which sticks together and won't let them treat us as they please.")
[font=Arial,]
This is the point, I think.
[/font] [font=Arial,]Berkeley haven't always treated the SETI community well and sometimes don't seem to realise that the community is their biggest and only essential asset.

I'm not sure a boycott of network traffic is the answer, though.. the most it will do is overload Berkeley servers even more than usual when people switch on again. Far better to actually crunch for a different project to show your dissatisfaction.

[/font]

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
I'm reading some threads over at the official SETI forums and as far as I can tell, somebody publicly accused Crunch3r of cheating. I don't know what this has to do with then screwing with the credits. In fact, I don't understand it very much at all. Can somebody fill me in?

Soldato
From what I can gather, he was accused of cheating through using a beta client not intended for general release which gave higher claimed credit?

Associate
Yeah something like that. From what I've read it seams that a lot of people arent happy with the new credit system and somewhere along the line crunch3rs optimized app got drawn into the mix and someone started accusing crunch3r of cheating.

Now people are striking for a week or until crunch3r comes back which is only going to happen if he gets an apology.

According to the forums tho, that isnt the only reason they are doing it.

And TBH if they want to get their point across, they need to strike for more than a week.

Man of Honour
Yes they do. I only have two crunchers on SETI these days (rest are on CPDN and Folding), but they're both on 'no new work' (and one has run out already). Moving them over to Einstein.

http://www.teamocuk.com/cprojectcred.php?p=SAH

The bottom two graphs here do make me wonder about the credit situation though. While the RAC graph has tailed off, the daily credit graph remained relatively steady until all this recent stuff blew up.

Soldato
Whitestar said:
And TBH if they want to get their point across, they need to strike for more than a week.

They need to strike indefinitely. Leave the project until Berkeley back down. If Berkeley know the strikers are coming back, they're just gonna sit out the week rather than actually changing anything.

Man of Honour
Soldato
There's all this squabbling over a credit issue? Why, then, so many DC enthusiasts continue to puch the mantra of the-points-don't-matter when clearly they do. Is it perhaps that some SETI crunchers are getting fed up with Berkeley's futzing with credit for a project that has yet to return anything meaningful after millions of years CPU time?

Man of Honour
Anyone who says points don't matter doesn't understand human nature. People may select DC projects based on the science. They usually continue them long-term, build farms, join teams, and so forth, because of the points.

People are getting fed up with SETI@home (and other projects - especially Predictor@home), because the membership gets the impression their admins don't care about the membership. I don't think that is true of SETI@home. In their case it's more a case of lack of time and poor communication. In the case of Predictor@home, there may well be a valid case to answer.

SETI@home also have a forum moderation problem. That is, they don't have a consistent and well-structured approach to moderation. In that respect, they could learn a few things from this forum. This is what has caused most (if not all) of the current problems. I'm not bragging here - no system is perfect, but you don't get members who have been here five years or more without having a good system.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I suppose part of the problem is that we donators number in the millions and the admins number in the dozens (if that). There might be five million SETI users but it's still just a few people working out of a closet in California using donated servers. We expect them to be aware of everything at once and we demand that they act fairly and equitable at all times. they are, however, people and they do make mistakes from time to time.

I don't want to see SETI end but I ceratainly don't want people to just keep quiet and tolerate poor treatment. We are the donators and they depend on us, not the other way around. Perhaps it's high time that all the DC projects took notice of that simple fact.

Man of Honour
Most donators are probably still unaware of the problems. Most don't know who Crunch3r is, or even what an optimised application is. It's the vocal minority on the forums that are stirring the pot.

However, I think the SETI@home guys handled it badly. There was virtually no communication about the SETI@home Enhanced launch, or what impact it was going to have (you only have to look at Bulldog66's thread to realise it did have undesirable impacts for some).

What happened with Crunch3r after that was just the catalyst that released the tension that has been simmering for a very long time (since way before Paul D Buck left).

Associate
We are the donators and they depend on us, not the other way around. Perhaps it's high time that all the DC projects took notice of that simple fact.

I think thats one of the things thats started this. This business with cruch3r is the straw that broke the camels back. I think the directors of a lot of DC projects (especially SETI) need to sit up and realize that without us they wouldnt get anywhere. I say especially SETI because of all of the messing around that donators have had to put up with. I appreciate that they havnt got much funding at all, but come on its got to the point where it goes beyond that.

When I first started S@H I did do it for the science, but once I found out about the whole stats thing, I slowly started do do S@H work purely for the stats.

Anyone who says points don't matter doesn't understand human nature. People may select DC projects based on the science. They usually continue them long-term, build farms, join teams, and so forth, because of the points.

I agree, thats why all DC project keeps stats. They know that unless its really interesting or important to human kind no-one is gonna be interested in the project long term.

Soldato
And in a project such as SETI where the benefit the science has to the advancement of knowledge is questionable (let's face it: up to now, precious little), the stats are always gonna come to the fore even more.

Associate
Well, things have calmed down over at the seti forums. The problems with the app have been noticed and a new app is or will be tested very soon.

Don't know if i'll go back tho, not until more than just the app get sorted.

Soldato
Maybe I don't know enough about it, but something I always wondered. Is why they never envolved other departments of the University in the project. Let the space bods do the space bit, get the I.T. department on the computer problems, and maybe some buisness bods on that side of it.

Surely being part of such a big project has to be a good thing, for everyone. :confused:

TDF.

Associate
Well the 'strike' officially ended today, but there are still minor disputes going on and i think quite a few people are still waiting to see what happens, so i rekon you might get a few people over.

Back
Top Bottom