Quick question re: Cheques

Associate
Afternoon chaps.

Might be a daft question, but....

The solicitor that originally dealt with the purchase of my property has sent out a cheque re-imbursing some overpaid fees.

He's made the cheque out in both my name and my ex-partners.
As it's in both names, can it be banked by either one of us into our own account ?

Permabanned
Malenko said:
Afternoon chaps.

Might be a daft question, but....

The solicitor that originally dealt with the purchase of my property has sent out a cheque re-imbursing some overpaid fees.

He's made the cheque out in both my name and my ex-partners.
As it's in both names, can it be banked by either one of us into our own account ?

Yes.....but the term 'ex-partner' has me intrigued. Are you planning on telling her about this re-imbursement?

Associate
OP
Wow fast reply, cheers fella.

She doesn't actually know about it yet.

I know this is all irrelevant but.... I'd paid pretty much everything in the first place. She decided to go and has had more than her fair share of things back (not to mention she left owing me just short of a grand)

The place is selling and she's getting half of that.

The cheque isn't for a lot of money but it'll sure help me clear some bills to keep the dogs off my back until the sale completes.

Associate
You wont be able to bank the cheque if the account only has one name on it. The only way to bank the cheque is to open a joint account or ask the solicitor to re-issue in your name, the solicitor will need to get a letter from your ex partner to do this.

Associate
Yep, either has to be banked into an account with both the names on or you are going to have to get another cheque issued, which will require her consent.

Back
Top Bottom