Need advice setting up wireless for a caravan site

Associate
I've had my cousin on the phone asking me if i can help him with setting up wireless access for his caravan site to which i said no problem. Thing is i have only ever setup wirless on a home or an office area and not had to cover a large distance. Can anyone recommend what type of aerial to use to broadcast the signal from a small linksys router across a site with maybe 20 people wanting to access the net ?

Thanks

Soldato
Id think any good gain omni-directional would do the trick nicely? Is the access point in the middle or at one side (eg the site office)? If its at the side its probably worth trying to get a couple of directionals to make sure the place is well covered.

Permabanned
DezUk said:
I've had my cousin on the phone asking me if i can help him with setting up wireless access for his caravan site to which i said no problem. Thing is i have only ever setup wirless on a home or an office area and not had to cover a large distance. Can anyone recommend what type of aerial to use to broadcast the signal from a small linksys router across a site with maybe 20 people wanting to access the net ?

Thanks

Might need something a bit more powerful than a little linksys m8, depending on range. Another important consideration is that external antennae are against EU directives over here and thus to use one you need express council permission (obtained at planning offices) else risk some hefty fine-age.

In principle tho look for commercial routers to do the job, not cheap tho.

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:
Might need something a bit more powerful than a little linksys m8, depending on range. Another important consideration is that external antennae are against EU directives over here and thus to use one you need express council permission (obtained at planning offices) else risk some hefty fine-age.

Really? Is that a new (ish) requirement for council permission?

Associate
Ultra_Extreme said:

You sure on that?

We do this type of work every week - some of this is for the council. We also have a wireless hotspot at a camp site, we needed no planning permission. We use the Cisco Omni-Directional antennae on most sites, they have a pretty large range! Email me at my address in my trust and I can give you further info on hardware and software to use.

Craig

Edit #2: Ultra_Extreme, you do realise that BT Openzone use Netgear routers/access points? They are just re-boxed to make them look like BT's own, the board etc is all Netgear and not the ProSafe stuff - just the normal home-going stuff :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Cr4iG said:
You sure on that?

We do this type of work every week - some of this is for the council. We also have a wireless hotspot at a camp site, we needed no planning permission. We use the Cisco Omni-Directional antennae, they are really good. Email me to my address in my trust and I can give you further info on hardware and software to use.

Craig

Depends on output of the antennae, there are certqain broadcasting limits that you must stay within in order to be below the threshold for a broadcast licence. Could be just a welsh thing maybe? I'd check it out anyway.

Back
Top Bottom