• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Availability of AMD AM2 4000/4400 cpus??????

Associate
Hi folks,

Does anyone on here know where these damn chips are???? They were supposed to be on release from 23rd May (Socket AM2). I have already purchased my motherboard etc now just waiting for the CPU to become available.

Overclockers (1-3days) .. been unchanged for the past week.
and others generally the same situation.

4800 and 4600 AM2 chips are available on some sites but these are the dear ones.

Anyone know why there is a supply problem?????

Hope u can help

Jules

Suspended
a lot of other sites don't have them either - I've seen some US shops with no X2's at all, so well done to OCUK for getting some X2's in - because of the all-round lack of supplies to all stores, it must be AMD's problem.

Soldato
jpe20 said:
Hi folks,

Does anyone on here know where these damn chips are???? They were supposed to be on release from 23rd May (Socket AM2). I have already purchased my motherboard etc now just waiting for the CPU to become available.

Overclockers (1-3days) .. been unchanged for the past week.
and others generally the same situation.

4800 and 4600 AM2 chips are available on some sites but these are the dear ones.

Anyone know why there is a supply problem?????

Hope u can help

Jules

Argh... dont buy an AM2 now... sheesh! :p Should wait until November for the *real* AM2 chips to be released, ie the 60nm process chips. At the moment AM2 chips are just 939 with new memory controllers. Although if you cant wait that long I'll understand :D

SiriusB

Associate
I want the 1MB cache versions so that leaves the 4000 X2 and 4400 X2 anything above is too expensive right now with K8L nearing and conroe appearing.

Associate
OP
Yep .. I am in a "situation" right now having already got the motherboard. My intention was/is to buy the cheapest AM2 dual core ... overclock it a bit and wait for some decent AM2 (65nm) chips come out and upgrade again (selling my old AM2 straight away to recoup some cash). Just I cannot find any damn 4000's. I cannot wait too long so I may even go for a single core (really really don't want that!!).
Or ..... if intel drop their prices on D930's over the next week I might go for one of them with a mobo which is SLi (which one I dunno!!!) and will be compatable with Conroe. I can't wait another 2mths!!!!!

Jules

PS I would like to know if it is an AMD problem and know how long I "really" will have to wait for one.

Associate
OP
Just got this from another forum ... (more info)

Ingram Micro, who supply a lot of the retailers out there have none of any model in stock.

Specifically the models you mentioned appear to have an "in stock" date of the end of June.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

AMD have probably had some production/engineering problem, and cant supply the OEMs and the retail channel at the same time.

Sounds like bad news for me .... maybe I'll buy a cheapy AM2 Semperon for 50quid to tie me over.

Jules

Associate
OP
Trimmed back the sig a bit!!!! Will trim more once new system built. (I note you have used 6lines!!! lol). Anyhow it was too long, even though it looked ok on preview. When I have some time spare I might do a fancy piccy sig like yours.

Still looking for a 4000..........

OC have some 4200s in stock so I am thinking about possibly getting one of them .... Does 512kb instead of 1MB really make that much difference?????

Jules

Associate
I'm waiting for conroe & won't get any DDR2 or motherboard in advance as the ram may get cheaper & the boards will get better.

I'm on a micro atx board with onboard sis mirage graphics in the meantime though, :mad: having sold my 939 setup before the market wasa glutted with them :p

If anyone has a crapper setup, I'd like to hear about it

Associate
dont know what to do now, if I can hit 2.6/2.8GHz + on a 4200 then Iam tempeted, basicaly I want it to be faster than the 4400 X2 S939 I had which could hit 2.5GHz at stock.

suggestions please?

Last edited:
Associate
Jay_t said:
I'm waiting for conroe & won't get any DDR2 or motherboard in advance as the ram may get cheaper & the boards will get better.

I'm on a micro atx board with onboard sis mirage graphics in the meantime though, :mad: having sold my 939 setup before the market wasa glutted with them :p

If anyone has a crapper setup, I'd like to hear about it

Compaq P3 866, 128mb ram, windows 2000, 16mb pci VGA card, 20Gb hard disk.

:(

Back
Top Bottom