1.4GHz Reasonable

Associate
I'm wondering how good 1.4 ghz really is? At the moment been using a 2Ghz processor but more than likely will be falling to a 1.4 as i have blown it up lol. I'm wondering with windows xp, 512mb of ram and 80gb hdd, will the performance difference really be that noticeable? and with a broadband connection it wouldn't effect my downlaod speed will it with saving onto the computer?

Soldato
Unless the CPU is really poor, ie a Pentium 2 300, you're not going to notice a slowdown in everyday tasks. Also, last time I checked, even a Pentium 2 can handle broadband downloads and web browsing. CPU-intensive applications like games, video editing, etc are what will become slow.

Soldato
My Athlon 1.4ghz Thunderbird is still chugging away on one of my computers with 512mb ram and its more than enough for everyday tasks...certainly won't slow down your internet connection, unless you have something extraordinary.

Suspended
titaniumx3 said:
My Athlon 1.4ghz Thunderbird is still chugging away on one of my computers with 512mb ram and its more than enough for everyday tasks...certainly won't slow down your internet connection, unless you have something extraordinary.

I'm running a 1.2GHz T-Bird with 512mb RAM - runs fine for everyday stuff - although Firefox can get a little choppy on some pages.

Suspended
sr4470 said:
Flash objects tend to use more cpu power.

it's not just flash, it's just images on some pages causing the page to be really choppy when scrolling. Saving files has a delay too for some weird reason, no matter what file it is.

Soldato
=assassin= said:
it's not just flash, it's just images on some pages causing the page to be really choppy when scrolling. Saving files has a delay too for some weird reason, no matter what file it is.

I still get that on an X2, dont think its a CPU problem...

Associate
OP
*comes back to thread*

Actually, what would tasks such as burning CD's would that really be affected or does that depend on the drive.

Soldato
Darcy said:
*comes back to thread*

Actually, what would tasks such as burning CD's would that really be affected or does that depend on the drive.

CD burning will be fine, its far more dependant on the hard drive and burner.

Soldato
i got a thunderbird 1.4ghz and its a brilliant workhorse. still runs and is paired up with 768mb of sdram pc133. brillaint cpu but does run a bit on the warm side.

Back
Top Bottom