Incorrectly Labelled Hard Drive

Associate
Please can anyone help me?

When I installed Windows XP Pro on my pc it labelled the hard drive as the F-drive. The Floppy drive is labelled correctly as the A-drive but as this is a combined Floppy/card reader and this was connected to the mobo prior to the Windows installation I have since been told that this would cause the hard drive to be labelled incorrectly as F-drive and not as C-drive.

How can this be rectified simply so that the hard drive is correctly labelled as C-drive?

Man of Honour
If it is the main boot drive then I don't think you can change the drive label so that Windows will recognise it as a C: drive. You could always disconnect the floppy/memory card reader while installing Windows as A: and B: are automatically reserved for floppy drives, then once Windows is installed the memory card drives will fit in after the hard drive and the floppy disk drive will take its name space as A:.

Soldato
messiah khan said:
There is actually a way to fix it, can't quite remember how at the moment though im afraid. Its basically a registry hack boj job. I really wouldnt recommend it though, as your likely to cause more problems for yourself.

that would have to one hell of a bodge. :eek: so many registry entries relate to the drive windows is installed on. not just registry entries either. i'm sure there's more to it than that with regards to windows startup files/bootsector files etc. i certainly would not recommend this..... :p

Associate
I've done it before. Do the registry hack as suggested but before rebooting, Find decent registry editor the Find and Replace all "F:\" with "C:\".

Back
Top Bottom