Returning goods

Soldato
OoOverclockaoO said:
Am I right that anything I buy can be returned within 14 days?

Just bought some speakers and cable for about 350 quid, nothing been opened etc and need to return it tomorrow , assuming this is fine?

Yes, I think it's law that they have to take them back if the customer wants to send them back within 14 days for no reason... as long as they're in the condition they were in when bought of course.

Permabanned
Craig321 said:
Yes, I think it's law that they have to take them back if the customer wants to send them back within 14 days for no reason... as long as they're in the condition they were in when bought of course.

Only for distance selling, as per the Distance Selling Act. For items bought in store, it is not law.

Commissario
I thought the Distance Selling act allowed for them to be informed in writing within 7 working days as standard?

It also I beleive does not cover items that were made to order, which could well include things like wiring if it has been to length or made up specially for the order.

Soldato
Retailer does not have to give a refund but most will if it is untouched.

Distance Selling allows for 7 days return on applicable items, but possibly not bespoke hi-fi cabling etc. Most e-tailers will offer a 14 day cooling off period.

Soldato
OP
Bought it in a shop , not online.

Items are KEF KHT1005 speakers , 20m of speaker cable and 7.5m of retail packed subwoofer cable.

I guess the speaker cable they won't take back as it is a specific lenght, but the sub cable shouldn't be a problem as it is retail packed.

Will give this a go tomorrow :)

Wise Guy
Permabanned
OoOverclockaoO said:
Bought it in a shop , not online.
Then the answer is no, they aren't obliged to take it back.

As has been said, the DSR gives you the right to return most goods within 7 working days, but while that applies to most types of goods/services, it doesn't apply to all, and it doesn't apply at all if you bought in a shop.

If you bought in a shop, your right to return is limited to when the shop is in breach of contract, such as goods not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose, not as described, etc. What you don't have is a right to take something back to a shop, just because you changed your mind.

However, just because you don't have the right to take goods back doesn't mean the shop won't take them if you ask nicely. They may. But you can't force them.

Soldato
Oblivious said:
Only for distance selling, as per the Distance Selling Act. For items bought in store, it is not law.

I thought there was some law that shops HAD to accept items back even if no reason given within x number of days as long as the item is still in it's original condition?

Craig.

Commissario
Craig321 said:
I thought there was some law that shops HAD to accept items back even if no reason given within x number of days as long as the item is still in it's original condition?

Craig.

Only for things bought mail order/internet/telephone and even then there are restrictions for things like made to order items.
The idea is you have the same chance to look at them at home as you would if you had bought them in person.

Retail stores where you can walk in and buy in person may have a similar policy, but it is totally at their discretion.

Back
Top Bottom