n80 alternative on Tmobile?

Caporegime
As a few of you will know Ive been waiting for (now what seems a lifetime) the N80 to come out, but it looks like theres little to no chance it will appear on Tmobile anytime soon, if at all :( (and it seems Nokia have somehow ruined their phones yet again by underspeccing them or cutting corners)...

Since my tariff (FlexT 35 + WnW) is more important to me, I need some good advice about an alternative to the N80 thats out now (or say will be out on Tmobile this/next month). The most important features for me I guess are 3G and Wifi (not sure how important Wifi really is, but I really want to see how useful it could be), with a good HQ screen for web surfing all in a relatively small size (within reason)...

To me the only kinda phones that will be out there that fit this are the P990i or the E70 - anyone got a list of Wifi+3G phones?...

Finally is FlexT + WnW really the only decent tariff out across the operators? I must admit I only use about £100 of my credit so can I get say 400mins + 150txts for £35? Im pretty sure nothing touches WnW still...

Perhaps Im asking for too much :p

TIA

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
If Wi-Fi is really important to you then you are limited to those phones you've mentioned. The only thing i would say is if you're not sure how useful wifi would be to you i would leave it - unless you're going to be in places that you know are going to provide free wifi then it's not really of much use and with WnW there isn't really a need for it anyway. If you want to look at non-wifi phones the Nokia N73 should be released in July. The resolution isn't too high but it's good enough (320 x 240) and has the ability to do landscape browsing with the excellent new nokia browser. It also has stereo speakers, autofocus camera with Carl Zeiss lens etc making it a very good multimedia phone. In the end it depends on all the features you want from a phone though.

As for the network, if unlimited browsing is important to you then you are limited to t-mobile. It is a very worthwhile feature though, i now have my phone constantly checking for new e-mail, i download MP3's as a go etc etc. Before that with the high costs involved i barely used it at all - i now download 300MB a month easily. Definately worth staying with t-mobile just for that.

Caporegime
OP
Cheers for the replies - Im not 100% sure about how useful Wifi would be (especially with the extortinate hotspot costs Ive seen) so I agree its not that important - guess I need to read up on it - what do other ppl with Wifi phones do with theirs?

Is Wifi particularly faster than 3G for surfing? If it isnt all that I guess any 3G phone with decent surfing would foot the bill...

Guru - havent got a link regards the Vario II - sure Ive seen you mention it a fair few times - whats so special?

Soldato
Is Wifi particularly faster than 3G for surfing? If it isnt all that I guess any 3G phone with decent surfing would foot the bill...

UMTS (3G) is 384kbps typically.
802.11g WiFi is 54Mbps.

There's a big difference, but the CPU and memory on your phone is much more likely to be the limiting factor.

The only real advantage of WiFi is that you can use all of the applications, like streaming media, that T-Mobile ban on Web'n'Walk.

Caporegime
OP
Tunney said:
UMTS (3G) is 384kbps typically.
802.11g WiFi is 54Mbps.

There's a big difference, but the CPU and memory on your phone is much more likely to be the limiting factor.

The only real advantage of WiFi is that you can use all of the applications, like streaming media, that T-Mobile ban on Web'n'Walk.
Ahh I did assume that these new Wifi phones wont be anywhere as fast as the theoretical bandwidth of g - though I guess theyll still be a fair bit faster than 3G even using a small fraction (1% even).

Wonder what else Tmobile ban - I can understand that streaming media would be taking the p really... I just want to surf the net as nearly as normal really...

GuruJockStrap said:
Some more info on the MDA Vario II/HTC Hermes:
Wow I like the look of that - perfect for what I need - if Tmobile Germany have released it, why havent UK? Guru any ideas if it will around before the footys over?!? :p. Wonder how much it is sim free, cant find it on eXpansys...

Last edited:
Caporegime
ps3ud0 said:
Ahh I did assume that these new Wifi phones wont be anywhere as fast as the theoretical bandwidth of g - though I guess theyll still be a fair bit faster than 3G even using a small fraction (1% even).

Wonder what else Tmobile ban - I can understand that streaming media would be taking the p really... I just want to surf the net as nearly as normal really...

Dont really ban anything other than streaming media on your phone as it takes up too much bandwidth.

Soldato

Laptop tethering, instant messaging, P2P...

Web'n'Walk is still a fantastic deal though.

Soldato
ps3ud0 said:
Wow I like the look of that - perfect for what I need - if Tmobile Germany have released it, why havent UK? Guru any ideas if it will around before the footys over?!? :p.

Orange will be releasing it as the SPV M3100 and T Mobile the MDA Vario II, both slated for an august release.

Obviously the T Mobile version will be more appealing due to the Web N Walk contracts and unlimited browsing.

I'm with Orange but will most probably cancel and go to T Mobile for that reason.

Note to self. Phone Orange up mid July and cancel contract.

Associate
WnW Pro will be available soon as an add on package which allows streaming media, p2p, connection to a laptop etc. It does however have a 2GB a month transfer limit, and VOIP is still not allowed. It's only an extra £2.50 a month over normal WnW, so £10 in total which is very reasonable.

Soldato
I read that on their 3g data cards, even though they're dead cheap, no p2p, no streaming, no IM (i.e. MSN!), no VoIP.

All of which i do on my vodafone data card.

Associate
Morba said:
sorry but 10 for 2gb isnt reasonable imo.

im glad i get it free (and 3g!)

How is £10 for 2GB not reasonable? With any other networks standard tariff that would cost hundreds if not thousands. If you have a special deal then fair enough, but to say it's not reasonable is ridiculous.

Kappa, once again using WnW Pro allows all of that apart from VOIP. It's a lot cheaper than Vodafone's offering too.

Soldato
oh right, didnt know about the WnW Pro, how about that on Data Cards?

(yeah I know voda isnt cheap at all for data, £25 for 50 odd mb)

Back
Top Bottom