teething problems with new car

Associate
I just got my new car, well its a 2001, Nissan Almera. 2 days after i picked it up from the dealeaship the offside rear brake caliper got stuck.

So i took it back, they replaced the pad and adjusted it.

However now when I drive the car since after,if I go over a speedbump, manhold cover the slightest little thing in the road, I head a slight thudding sound, not coming from the exchust its not a metal thud, more deep.

Its driving me nutts, affter shelling out just over 3K on this car, (I had 22K miles) so this was a fair price.

I have no idea what they have done, is there anything within the brake system that could cuase this, it does not matter which side i go over a bump with, at first it thought it was just the car now I realise its only happened after and cetainly was whisper quiet on the test drive.

They said they will look at the car tommorow but Id like some idea what it may be beforehand as when it comes to these sort of problems I am limited to by lack of expierence.

(I did a thread about another car which I was selling privately) thank you to others its now sold.

Soldato
I had something like this on my car.

When I went over a bump there was a thumping noise, not all the time though and not over every bump. I asked about it when I took it in for a service and it was something to do with the brake compression cylinder (something like that) they fixed/tightened something and it stopped.

Associate
OP
Mr Joshua said:
I had something like this on my car.

When I went over a bump there was a thumping noise, not all the time though and not over every bump. I asked about it when I took it in for a service and it was something to do with the brake compression cylinder (something like that) they fixed/tightened something and it stopped.

Thx Joshua. I phoned the dealership up, and they said they would test it out with myself driving, Hopefully it will be a quick fix this is holding me back paying the outstanding finance on the car, as apart from this I am really happy with it.

If anyone else has had this, info is appreciated. Otherwise i will report back tommorow and let you know what they did. I AM SURE its something THEY have done!

Soldato
take the guy on a test drive yourself and go down a road that you know produces the noise, otherwise there is a chance that a spanner monkey will just report that there is no fault.

Associate
OP
Thx for all the help so far.

It has been a bit of a long drawn out saga, Noise at the back has been fixed was the exhust knocking agaist the body.

I dont know that much about diags on cars, which is why I went for a main dealer, However there was 1 other noise worring me.

I wonder if someone can help. When I exceed 30Mph, I hear a faint Windy/Very slighty metallic sound, sorta sound you get when you have the windows down and the air is catching.

Id doesnt matter what RPM I m doing, if I coast or if its in gear. Road surface does not effect it, I am pretty sure its not bearing / tyres. Something under the bonnet. I hear the same sound very faintly near the alturnator belt, Although it does not seem cracked damaged.

I took the car back to get this checked out, one of their techies spent an hour with me, and put it down to air movement in the bonnet. Basically there is nothing they can do. He listened to the engine and while I was driving and stated there was nothing wrong.

It is a new car for me. (Nissan Almera 2001), so maybe Im getting worried for nothing and its just like this, although it seems much louder than other Nissans I have driven. The car has been well looked after and only has 22K on the clock, an elderly gent had it before.

Any advise on what I should do, should I contact another nissan garage and get it checked over again, the noise is ever so slight.

Any help is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom