Is it time for water ???

Soldato
My old P4 3.0g Northwood had been getting "flaky" on full load, so picked up a 3.4 Prescott of the 'bay.... works fine stability issues gone.
BUT it's ****** HOT !
Currently using Zalman CNPS7700-CU (and Zalman 700 series GPU unit on a GF6800) On load I hit 62-64 C, at 1600rpm. Idle around 44.
I use to run at 1000rpm.... As quietness is very important.... gave up overclocking years ago...

So should I upgrade to the CNPS9500-LED
or this Zalman Reserator1-Plus

Will either reduce my temps much ???

Looked at the other water kits, all look a bit fussy, and a pain to fit in a case, plus still have fans running.... Have a Xaser3 case, big but not many open areas to fit stuff like rads....
Worth the hassle or just cook the Pressy !!

Soldato
apex ultra, it comes with cables for fans at 5v/7v, 7v being just about audable and 5v is inaudable.
And its also much better than the zalman.
It will fit the tt case, my server is in one of those and you can mount it too the back thanks to the radbox.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that, a while since I looked at water options, the radbox idea does look like a big improvement to mounting stuff.
From their website it looks like a Prescott 3.4 (103watt ?) will be 14.9C over ambient at full load for 5volts. My internal case read out is currently 30. Therefor Full load approx 45C which is my current "idle" temp on air.....
Interesting it only take extra 3 degrees out by going to 12volt.
Should I add the VGA block as well ?.... all adds up to a bit more than this weeks special on the Zalman...............and out of stock !
Zalman don't seem to give figures :(

Soldato
OP
Well I got off the fence and placed this order on OcUK

Swiftech H20-220 Apex "Ultra" Watercooling Kit, plus
Swiftech MCW60 VGA Waterblock (WC-019-SW)

both out of stock on a 1-3 day :mad:

Will be my first "taste" of water..... can't be with all this noise...even Zalman's are loud to me !!!!!

One possible mod would be to use a "reservator" style tank as well as the rad, then run the fans as slow as possible...... for zero noise......
Hopefully with the heat being taken away by water the internal case temp will stay low, and the PSU fan will not need to speed up.

Hopefully they will come back in stock soon ......

Soldato
OP
The XIII case has 7 80mm fans running off a controller, set to min ~ halfway, as there then quiet..... yea the temps are well with in spec, and it ran ok at near 3.6 without any tweaks or temp rise....but I'm running the CPU fan at max, 1600 rpm, and it makes a noise.... :mad:

Soldato
9designs2 said:
The XIII case has 7 80mm fans running off a controller, set to min ~ halfway, as there then quiet..... yea the temps are well with in spec, and it ran ok at near 3.6 without any tweaks or temp rise....but I'm running the CPU fan at max, 1600 rpm, and it makes a noise.... :mad:

where is your case, on the desk next to screen on floor....cos mate wack it on the floor at A) you wont hear 1600rpm and B) the temps will fall by a few degrees.....thing is summer is a silly period for temps, we just have to hang on til they fall again. Hey also i;ve noticed my pc is upstairs in my room if i had it downstairs it would be a lot cooler

Wise Guy
Soldato
My pressy runs fine all the way up to throttling point (87°C)

It may seem hot but if it's not unstable just leave it, you can't kill a P4 with heat, you could remove the heatsink and it will just throttle to 0mhz, if it gets unstable THEN think about better cooling.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
david.n.c said:
where is your case, on the desk next to screen on floor....cos mate wack it on the floor at A) you wont hear 1600rpm and B) the temps will fall by a few degrees.....thing is summer is a silly period for temps, we just have to hang on til they fall again. Hey also i;ve noticed my pc is upstairs in my room if i had it downstairs it would be a lot cooler

errr you ever seen a XIII..... it's about 530 tall..... yep under desk, trust me you can hear it.... try switching the PC off and see how quiet a room becomes.... It's also lined with Acoustic matting, has an Ultra quiet PSU....
I like would like it silent, for when I have music on etc....
Anyway water kit on order and still out of stock .....

Back
Top Bottom